This really hits my funny bone
about guys.

If we have a lathe that will turn 8" we will turn 8" things and then we want to get bigger so we buy a Midi lathe and turn a 12" since it will only go that large.

Now that the fun and challenge of that is over we have to somehow convince our wife's we NEED a bigger lathe and not just bigger but the biggest or what we can afford.

Now we can turn 20" and if we have a drop down extension like my PM3520b it will turn 38" so someone will have to try that.

So just what is it about guys that we just have to test the limits of everything we have?

Arlin

PS for your info I have only done 14" so far.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It's good to know your limits.

I don't always have to explore those limits myself.

When I was diving, I never went deeper than 60 feet. I wasn't afraid to. It was not deeper than the limits. There just wasn't anything anywhere deeper than that that I wanted to explore.

I did turn a 12 1/8" bowl on my 12.5 swing lathe. I doubt I would turn a 28" bowl on a lathe with a 30" capacity. Somethings just aren't smart unless there is a need and a safe procedure in place. The forces on a 2 ft plus bowl blank are formidable.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
This is why I've got a 12" jointer.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I do sometime hope to make my wife two end tables for the living room that are 30" and with a lip so nothing comes off if spilled.

I also remember two guys using a tracter rear tires to make a big spa. Maybe just to test the limits of what a human can do even if it is not safe.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin Eastman said:

about guys.

If we have a lathe that will turn 8" we will turn 8" things and then we want to get bigger so we buy a Midi lathe and turn a 12" since it will only go that large.

Now that the fun and challenge of that is over we have to somehow convince our wife's we NEED a bigger lathe and not just bigger but the biggest or what we can afford.

Now we can turn 20" and if we have a drop down extension like my PM3520b it will turn 38" so someone will have to try that.

So just what is it about guys that we just have to test the limits of everything we have?

Arlin

PS for your info I have only done 14" so far.

"A man has got to know his limits"....Clint Eastwood voice off.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
I can turn 24" inboard, 44" outboard, 88" outboard if I were to take off the extension.
Largest I've ever done is 20".
Will I ever do an 88" bowl?
Rather doubt it.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Got the 3000 with its 16" (really 400mm) capacity from my courier on Saturday. By Sunday night, with nothing beyond lag bolts holding it to a board, I turned my first full-size piece. SWMBO, who sees things under her own standard, remarked that it was a bowl "as big as a chamber pot." Yup, as big as the opening in the toilet, anyway.

Sell a few here and there, but the most popular are still in the 10-14" range. Going one step further, most people don't seem to want depth over about 5" either. Go figure.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Arlin Eastman said:

Arlin

You never know when you will have to hollow out a phone pole, you must be prepared.
Funny! I can spin 24", turn mostly tops, ornaments, and small hollow forms. Biggest bowl I've done is about 13" or so.
Steve K

I have to purchase all the bowl blanks I use. So, anything larger than 16", which is the capacity of my lathe for inboard turning, gets a bit pricey. I've toyed with approaching some arborists in town who cut down trees, but they are mostly junk from a turning standpoint. Pine is easy to get, but it's also quite sappy and requires I spend an inordinate time cleanup up my tools after turning. So, right now, I have no desire to get anything bigger. I do have a desire to get something better, though (Robust lathe). That ain't gonna happen until I retire.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill