Opinion of blue Jet 20" bandsaw?
I'm looking for a bandsaw with a 12" resaw height for cutting turning blanks and a bit of resawing to replace my delta 14" bandsaw. I came across a blue Jet JWBS-20-1 20" bandsaw for sale. It has European guides and a trunnion similar to that used on the Grizzly 17" and 19" bandsaws. I can't find much information on this saw, though one person said the frame flexes a lot compared to Jet's current bandsaws. I also haven't been able to determine what size the motor is, though it's wired for 220v. Any thoughts on whether this saw is worth considering, and if so, at what price? The asking price of $1200 seems kind of high to me.
Blue jet is old and not as good as white Jet. $1200 is way too much. Get a Grizzly instead for that price.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
What Cary said.........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
This Grizzly 19" is a little more, but brand new and I think a great deal for the money. I was hot on buying it until I realized it's just too large to go down my cellar stairs and would take up too much footprint in my shop.

Anyway, it's on sale right now with $98 shipping.

John
Thank you for the information about the price of the Jet saw. At the right price would this be a good saw, or is it just not a very good bandsaw compared to what is available new?
I might go kick the tires for $800. I'd feel better about $600. There are too many horror stories about column flex on the white 18" square column bandsaws that I would be leery. I have the G0513X2 and love it. I can't say that I have ever heard a bad thing about the 513 or 514 series. The Rikon 18" used to go on sale for $1k about 2x a year. In my opinion there are better options in the $1200 range.
I think the best design has the wheel below the motor, giving a longer blade. Also try to find a saw with movable lower guides so you can tuck them up tight under the table for better support. So many saws with fixed guides 3-4inches below the table so it can tilt.

Its a sad fact but you have to spend $$$ to get an excellent resaw machine.
Quote:I can't say that I have ever heard a bad thing about the 513 or 514 series. The Rikon 18" used to go on sale for $1k about 2x a year. In my opinion there are better options in the $1200 range.
+1 on this. I have seen a couple threads on Griz G0514 problems, don't recall even one on G0513. the Rikon band saws seem to have a pretty good rep. and goes on sale a couple times a year as Cary said. I'll bet the Rikon 10-345 18" will be not much more than $1200 on sale and you get a new machine with warranty.
(07-04-2016, 10:11 PM)gcrimmins Wrote: I'm looking for a bandsaw with a 12" resaw height for cutting turning blanks and a bit of resawing to replace my delta 14" bandsaw. I came across a blue Jet JWBS-20-1  20" bandsaw for sale. It has European guides and a trunnion similar to that used on the Grizzly 17" and 19" bandsaws. I can't find much information on this saw, though one person said the frame flexes a lot compared to Jet's current bandsaws. I also haven't been able to determine what size the motor is, though it's wired for 220v. Any thoughts on whether this saw is worth considering, and if so, at what price? The asking price of $1200 seems kind of high to me.

Product manual
About parts availibility
I've recently changed my position about Grizz, and am thinking Laguna is the way to go Laguna 14 SUV found cheaper from time to time at Rockler
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I just got the Woodcraft add and Rikon is 15% off August 5-14.