More on Drywall - Pricing for labor
As a follow-up to an earlier drywall post , I am looking at a project that will require 90 long sheets or 130 4x8 sheets of drywall.

I took folks advice and pursued hiring some folks. With residential construction, I am used to seeing labor cost be roughly equal to materials for most crafts. Based on what I saw here and another internets, It seemed drywall labor would be slightly less than the materials.

For my project I am looking at $1500 - $1700 in materials. That includes mud, tape, screws, etc. (Building is 1333 sq.ft. new construction)

I got quotes from two small drywall & paint companies, and a 3rd from a dude who runs crews for a large home builder and does side jobs on weekends.

Quotes have come back at $3500, $3900, & $4500. That is up to 3 times the material cost. Add to that, just saw an HGTV remodel in San Antonio where they did a 3000 sq.ft. house for $3500 for materials and labor.

Are these quotes in line with what others have seen? Should I keep looking?
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
The moonlighting guy is ripping you off.
The other two are reasonable, IMO.

Materials + labor should be $40-60/sheet.

Labor only should be around $1.50/sf.

130 sheets of 4X8 (32 sq/ft/sheet) = 4160 sq feet

4160 sq ft X $1.50/sq ft = $6240.00 doesn't it?

Materials plus labor at $50.00/sheet X 130 sheets = $6500.00, doesn't it?

Is my math wrong?
drywall is tricky because you can find guys that will say they will get it done for next to nothing and good odds they will but the finished product might be far below your expectations. Last time I hired a crew I found them through an electrician working on high end homes. I got lucky as it was a down time in the year and got good pricing and beautiful results. My suggestion to you is see finished projects before you hire anyone and be available to after hour and weekend work. It goes back to you can find cheap, you can find fast and even good but rarely all from the same place
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Anyone can slap up sheetrock. Literally. I supervised volunteers doing just that, after about 20 minutes of demonstration/explanation.

The key is in the mudders/tapers/finish process.

Were those estimates just labor? If so, keep looking.

Oh, forget costs shown by TV remodeling shows, those are most often unavailable for the general public. Prices are padded one way or another for advertising purposes by companies/individuals donating services/material.
about $60/board using 4x12's for labor and material here on Long Island
-who?
Yeah those prices on shows are typically way way high and every so often they are well under at times. Like the one show where they were telling them that it would cost $1500 to pit in two gfci receptacles in a kitchen and replace all the existing ones. It's just something the producer has them put in to say oh we hit a snag...

Pricing on drywall work varies allot in one location and so does quality of work. Stop in the local Murco or other drywall supplier and see what they have to say. Sometimes you can find good leads there.

Lots of variables like ceiling height ceiling type number of inside and outside corners etc. A square box is cheaper and faster to do than a building with 10' walls and vaulted ceilings and several closets and rooms.
Also figure in if you are doing the standard knock down texture or the 80s and 90s heavier texture. Finding a drywall guy in tx to do smooth walls is tough as its rarely done because every wall here is textured. I recommend smooth walls. They are far easier to repair than textured walls.

I could compare prices here but it wouldn't mean much but I will say that for labor only some of those are on the high side.
I kinda figured the TV shows use funny numbers.

But the estimates were for labor only. The guy working side jobs was oddly the highest. From talking to each of them, it sounded like 4 workers for 4 days. Assuming 10 hour days, that gets you to about $11/hr, which doesn't actually seem bad.

If I end up hanging this myself, I'm wondering if I should pursue 12' panels. I have a lift that can handle 8's or 12's, but I don't know if I can muscle the larger sheets.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
How far are you from Mags? He might be able to give you some direction as he said a while back they were building houses all around him
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

We mind as well be on other sides of the planet... He's north side, south side representing over here.... He's in the spensive side of town....
Well, Bye...