Wood for pen turning
I don't turn pens but was wondering what the rough dimensions of a pen blank should be.

Thanks
Frank
Frank
3/4 x 3/4 x 5 is a pretty common size. 1x1x6 is bigger than any pen I've ever seen.
What Jim said. However, there is a pen kit that calls for 7/8" kit.

I have about 10,000 pen kits from all over the world and I am putting together several 10" USPS boxes for sale in S&S within the next month. I even have spalted Koa
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin
The reason I was asking is that I have scraps of Walnut, Mahogany, Birdseye Maple and a few others that I was going to offer to send to you if you were interested. Looks like you have this covered already.

Frank
Frank
Depends on the kit. the only kits I turn now require 7/8 x 5 blanks.

Majority of kits require 3/4. 5+ long to have a bit extra so you don't blow out the end.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Spalted Koa? Never thought anyone used that. Stuff gets burned here....
VH07V  
Yes a friend of mine who lives in the islands somewhere knew how I love spalted wood and the sent me about 25 spalted from sapwood nice and white with black lines running everywhere.

I only have 5 left and would love to get several hundred for the guys really like them and dye them too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If you PM me the guy's name, I can find him if he's still in Hawaii. All the woodworkers know each other as it's a very tight knit community.
VH07V