Milliput Bowl Inlay

A hunk of walnut firewood, add some two part epoxy putty and you've got a very striking looking bowl!

Only woodworkers get excited about nice looking firewood!

Cutting a 7" bowl blank for turning on the lathe

I shape a squat looking pot shape for my bowl on the outside

Then hollow out the inside and give the bowl an undercut for the inside shape

Lastly I cut a groove for the inlay. At this point the bowl is done, but my fun project has just gotten started!

Milliput is a two part epoxy putty that I will be using to create the bowl inlay. I have had epoxy putty in the shop for a while, but it was just gray putty and I never considered it for an inlay. I then watched some videos on Jimsons Stuff's Youtube channel (source: https://youtu.be/yfbpyz6Mi-c) and fell in love with the bowls he was making.

I bought two colors of Milliput, one black one white. The putty comes in two parts. You use equal parts of the putty and hardener and mix them together until you get a uniform color. After I mixed both the black and the while, I flattened them out. This process wasn't easy, as the putty is very sticky and stuck to everything I threw at it. Rubber gloves, silicone mats, parchment paper and my razor blade.

Mix up the putty. One black, one white.
Flatten each out.
I put each ball between layers of parchment paper
I applied pressure with a flat block of wood to get each into putty disks.
Use razor to slice the disks in half
Stack the two halves together
Roll that black and white stack into a "putty snake" between your palms
Slice the rolls into small cross sections that will go into the inlay groove.

Those segments where then lined up to be added to the inlay grove on my bowl. Oddly enough, the putty didn't stick to the wood as much as my fingers, so another putty fight ensued.

I got it well packed into the groove and I left it for a couple of days to harden up. Honestly, I wasn't sure it was going to work out at this point.

After 48 hours I had some time in the shop again.

The bowl was re-mounted on the lathe and ready to turn. At this point the Milliput was rock hard. I used my carbide tool to turn down up the putty and make it flush with the walnut. I was amazed.

It looked awesome! Even with all the troubles and stress and issues, it come out great. A nice clean cut and it already had a smooth finish just off the carbide tool!

I sanded to 400 grit. Which got a LOT of the putty dust stuck in the pores of the wood. A little time with my air compressor and and about an hour picking out the some of the stubborn ones with a sewing pin, and it was mostly cleaned up. I think if you added a finish to the wood prior to the putty would help to eliminate most of that.

The finish was 3 coats of wipe on poly applied with a shop towel.

Despite the pain of working with Milliput, I cannot argue with the results. I'm super pleased.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Funky. I like it.
Looks great Peter, never heard of that product. I love the contrast between the walnut and the inlay.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Neat first effort. I have watched most of Jimson's videos and he does some neat stuff with Milliput. I have a couple tubes but haven't attempted anything with them yet.
Steve K

Very cool! I like the abstract patterns the Milliput makes. Seems to work well with the walnut, color-wise. It would be interesting to seem if the white could be mixed with dyes and make several colors as an inlay. I can see the multi-color inlay working well with maple.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I see someone else using firewood here.

You did a great writeup and it looks great with the colors too. Like Allan said I also wonder if it will take dyes really well and can be used for inlay.

Where can I get some? Link please.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Steve K said:

Neat first effort. I have watched most of Jimson's videos and he does some neat stuff with Milliput. I have a couple tubes but haven't attempted anything with them yet.

Thanks. I don't think I was prepared for the stickiness. I've gotten a ton of helpful suggestions.

I think I'm going to try cutting with a wire instead of the blade, and seeing if chilling the putty in the refrigerator helps at all.

Jim said water will smear the colors. Someone else offered cornstarch or baby powder....
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Arlin Eastman said:

I see someone else using firewood here.

You did a great writeup and it looks great with the colors too. Like Allan said I also wonder if it will take dyes really well and can be used for inlay.

Where can I get some? Link please.

I love firewood. Or any free wood really! Jim recently tried dying it on his channel, with mixed results. I'm wondering liquid dye would be better.

The Milliput can be had on Amazon:

Milliput White http://amzn.to/298gmyZ
Milliput Black http://amzn.to/29daI2b
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
I really like the effect.
I think we should revisit this in about a year to see how it holds up through the seasons. I can't do that kind of stuff here because I send things all over the country. Going from the humid climate here to someplace like Arizona would blow that apart.
VH07V  
Are you going to dip it???
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning