Offer Your Suggestion for Design of a Headboard Please
LOML wants a headboard constructed of live-edge material. I've had a couple of 13" wide cherry boards for several years that will probably satisfy her desires. Here are pics of the boards with another narrower board.

LOML wants the entire length of the boards (8') used for a queen-size bed. I'm thinking of arranging the boards as shown in the first picture, planing the boards to 3/4" thickness, using ebony butterflies across the long split areas, filling the splits with ebony shade of epoxy, then flap sanding the ends of the boards to maintain the original shape but clean up rough edges. I'm open to other suggestions if you have any.

r2
Since the boards are so, how to say, torchured, I'd play that theme to the limit. The Japanese have a way of celebrating the imperfect. Wabi Sabi, not sure of the spelling. What fun you can have!
Bill
I keep coming back to this post, looked at it several times. Full disclosure, I am not a fan of most live edge creations I see. The whole piece has to flow together to look good to me. In your case, I just can't see those 3 boards put together in any configuration where it all hangs together and looks good. Just my view and I am sure others will differ. Ken
Ken & Herebrooks,

Thanks for you frank opinions. I'll clean them up some, do some filling as I originally stated and show what changes are made.

Final analysis will be rendered by LOML. I've got 59 years invested in her - can't go rocking the boat at this time.

r2
lilrichard2 said:

Final analysis will be rendered by LOML. I've got 59 years invested in her - can't go rocking the boat at this time.

Wise man.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
You have 2 nice book matched live corners to work with. Maybe saw those two boards in half and put the corners on top. You can find a good way to add interest at the center. How about a fake book binding with a title. Or maybe angle them up or down a few degrees at the ends.
Those boards will make a beautiful head board and congratulations on 59 years of marriage and hope for many more for you and the Mrs. I have a way's to go we will hit 44 years in November.

Steve
lilrichard2 said:

I've got 59 years invested in her - can't go rocking the boat at this time.

r2

Richard this is kind of a double gloat. Showing off those wide boards, and 59 years, wow. Yeah you have to keep Mamma happy.

My advice is have her do a lot of browsing, and once she finds what she wants head that direction. What I do with LOML is flood her with pics, usually if you search on track, finding something is pretty easy.

Google images "live edge bed"

Houzz "live edge bed" I like Houzz a lot, only problem is they often just have a small part of the piece you want in the image. I still get a lot of Mom hits with it
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have three ways of working wood and it depends on the wood and the object.

I can cut it all up and make the piece straight lined store type.
I can mix natural with straight lined.
I can go with the natural flow of the wood.
This is decided first with a picture in my head what I want.

These pics have no bearing on a head board, but show what I like in building anything with that particular wood in XX condition.

Mesquite scraps- all twisted and crooked and rough. Had to cut it into small pieces.

Rounded the corners removing the soft edges and let the wood decide.

Old style straight line and simple;

Biggest challenge to mix rough with straight using again, old twisted and bowed rough ash and pecan- but it was free wood.
My daughter wanted it shiny and that ugly piece for a center, so I had no choice in the matter. (sigh).
59 years and she's still in charge.

I'll never make THAT mistake.

ROFLMAO

When we hit 45, I'm taking over!!