Phase converter help
I'm thinking about getting a phase converter so I can capitalize on all these old 3 phase machines selling for much cheaper than 1 phase. But I know absolutely nothing about them other than they're more expensive than I thought!

If I wanted to power a 5hp saw I'd need a 7.5hp phase converter, correct? Converter just plugs into regular 220v outlet and machine plugs into converter?
-Marc

Buy yourself a VFD. Much cheaper and it will give you variable speed.
Dave Diaman said:

Buy yourself a VFD. Much cheaper and it will give you variable speed.

A VFD is a good choice, but you would need one for each machine, and they get quite expensive for motors larger than 3hp. If you want to power multiple three-phase machines, then a rotary phase converter is the best choice. You might browse the archive over at owwm.org for more information.
WaterlooMarc said:

I'm thinking about getting a phase converter so I can capitalize on all these old 3 phase machines selling for much cheaper than 1 phase. But I know absolutely nothing about them other than they're more expensive than I thought!

If I wanted to power a 5hp saw I'd need a 7.5hp phase converter, correct? Converter just plugs into regular 220v outlet and machine plugs into converter?

I have a simple phase converter on my metal lathe for a 3hp 230v 3 phase motor. I wired it with two start caps and a potential relay as in the pic. There will be a loss of about 20% to 30% power this way- it hasn't affected my machine much at all @ 7.2 amps.

For full power (what you are probably talking about) you want to use a motor to phase it and yes, a 7.5 would be ideal for your 5 hp motor.

Like this; http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/prod...C0005.html

http://www.phaseconverter.com/wiring_diagrams.html
WaterlooMarc said:

A VFD makes sense for 3hp and less, but gets expensive at 5hp and up ..

There are 4 ways .. Static, VFD, Rotary, Digital .. The latter 2 will work with a 3 phase distribution panel and can be used to power multiple machines.
The easiest for me was to just call American Rotary and order a 20 hp rpc. It powers a widebelt and a big shaper and i can add more at any time. I cant really remember but i think mine cost around $1500...not really sure but i do know the price is long forgotten but the quality is remembered every day i walk over and turn it on.

[blockquote]Jeremy s said:

That last comment says it all .. do it once .. do it right .
Rick F said:

$1500 is a lotta $200 3HP Teco FM50 VFDs.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
MKepke said:

[blockquote]Rick F said:

-Mark

[/blockquote]

What if he wants to run a 5 hp tool
MKepke said:

[blockquote]Rick F said:

-Mark

[/blockquote]

So you can power widebelt sanders and 8 hp shapers with vfds?