Hanging Floating Shelves
My DIL wants to remodel her kitchen into a farm style design. That would involve ripping out the upper cabinets and installing open shelves (floating). With dishes on them that would quite a load. Does anyone know what kind of hardware is used in this application and where to get it?

I've used the small load floating shelf hardware from Rockler, but they won't handle the shelf width or weight.
We did the open shelf thing for a while. Had all of our dishes and pots/pans including a large cast iron dutch oven on them.

If you're not opposed to seeing the bracket, we used shelves from IKEA. I screwed into studs where I could and used Toggler bolts where I couldn't. Held up fine for many years until we decided to go back to more traditional cabinets. They look likes metal tubes with a metal bracket at the end. I can't seem to find them on their site right now.

We also used these shelves for smaller items like mugs and these seemed very sturdy, too.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/69002469/
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/30169002/
I installed threaded inserts in the studs and ran 1/4" all thread out then drilled holes and attached the shelves to the wall. Added an face edge and floating shelves were filled
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

we ripped out the open shelving in our kitchen, and went back to traditional cabinets. One too many of my wife's cookware threw itself off the shelves and smashed itself on the floor.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark