Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
I would post the issues before packing it up. There are some darn smart people here that actually use machines, whereas the manufacturer's customer service people may simply work from a problem solving script.

Most of the Pacific Rim machines are clones of higher priced machines, and again there may be some with experience here.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have not seen *every* jointer purchased

YMMV
obviously

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Common ground for all
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The tech guys and the supervisor all explained to me that grizzly has recently changed suppliers. If you look online you'll see that they are out of stock of many of their jointers because of this new supplier. I had to wait for my machine and it was shipped as soon as it got to Missouri.

The problem is the motor and pulley assembly is too large for the machine. And The pulley does not fit the shaft of the motor. Within 1 to 2 minutes the pully flies off the motor. the Chinese decided they wanted to put a much bigger multi groove pulley in.. But now the motor doesn't fit and rests against the far side of the assembly and against that dust shoot. Even with the motor moved as far back as possible the pulley does not line up with the cutterhead pulley.

It's extremely difficult to put any tension also on the pulley. Since The motor is at the far side , when you loosen the bolts the far side drops andjams the cross pieces into the frame. I was able to overcome that by tightening down the backside and then building a wedge to bring the front side down to get sufficient tension. I ended up having to take the entire assembly out. But the pulley doesn't fit the shaft. And Who wants a machine thats motor is in contact with the base and vibrates the whole base.

We spent a lot of time on it and I talked to four different tech guys and the supervisor. We did everything to try to make the pulley fit. Loctite, we cleaned everything. But it's just too loose. And with the motor being on the far side it's extremely difficult to tension the pulley. Which you have to do on occasion as the belt stretches out. I had the same Joyner before and never had these issues.

The tech guys said this happens with new suppliers. They can send me a new motor, they can send me a new pulley but chances are we're going to get the same result. The Chinese will eventually figure it out and straighten the design out. But right now I'm stuck with a bad machine that doesn't work. They said send it back and get something else. So what I'm going to d, not listen to them? I suggested using new different pulleys. They said fine but you would have to pay for it. The only one they can send me is the defective one. The one that doesn't fit. I suggested a different motor, they said fine but I would have to pay for it. The only motor they can send me is the one that's in there..

And the fence is twisted. You can only get either the in feed or the outfeed Square but not both. But that's something they could easily fix, send me a new one. But I must confess that I don't like the cheap aluminum pulleys they're now using. I mean I'm surprised that grizzly gave up so easily. Why would they want to have to pay this huge freight bill if this thing could be fixed. But these guys seem to know that these machines are not coming out right.

You know I've been working on this thing now for three days. And I'm very tired and stressed out over the whole thing. so now I got to build a skid and get this thing back to grizzly. And then I got to pick out a new Jointer. I think I'm Going to end up spending more money to get a better machine.
Edit .....Hmmmmmm, ..... that the entire model is fatally flawed?

I ask because the most obvious .....

End editing

I have opened "tons" of lab equipment shipped from Germany and China and its all pretty much the same construction. 2x4's clad with 1/4" crap-grade plywood. Base is usually 1/2" ply and has 4x4's on the ends and maybe one in the center depending on the length of the crate to allow for pallet jack clearance.

No need for form-fit foam. Just some shipping "mat" to keep the finish from getting messed-up. Its just kinda like cheap carpet padding. If you are not taking it apart, just build the crate around it. Tie down any of the loose parts to the crate base with some rope or bailing wire. Push it around on a pair of furniture dolly platforms or just let the freight company move it with their pallet jack.

Edit : your newest post pop-up before I submitted, some of my questions were answered. I think I plucked out most of the useless parts. Good luck I'm sure it all work out in the end.
New supplier or not, looks like Grizzly has abandoned even the most rudimentary quality control. Frightening to think that after years of gaining some respect as a trusted name that they are returing to their questionable roots. Wow, they may have actually passed Delta in the race to the bottom
If I said what I feel is true I would just come off as the curmudgeon most seem to think I am

You have a crate to build

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

If I said what I feel is true I would just come off as the curmudgeon most seem to think I am

You have a crate to build

Joe

Me too.

Sounds like a lost cause. Grizz must be in the business of sending tools that are junk and dont work. Thousands of them, daily cause I am sure they have shipped tens of thousands of these jointers.....

I just dont get it.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

they may not have shipped more than a container full of this exact machine made by this supplier. Sure, they've shipped thousands made by someone else. But switching suppliers isn't exactly promising.
So do you have any way to rig a pulley system from your ceiling? the pulley could reduce the weight enough for you to tip the machine slowly onto a pallet allowing you to take the cabinet off and possibly box up the machine on the pallet
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.