Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
I looked at the manual for that machine on Grizzly's website. It's clear that the base and jointer proper are shipped in separate boxes and require assembly. They also show that you should use a fudge lift or hoist to lift the jointer onto the base. So you shouldn't have been surprised to find out the machine arrived in two boxes. 11 days apart is another story, and I'd not be happy about that either. You also should have had a hoist, etc. to lift the jointer onto the base. That would have made that part of the assembly a non issue, and you wouldn't be struggling again on how to get the machine onto a pallet.

The motor/pulley issue is a legitimate concern. I think I would have had Grizzly send me a new motor and pulley before sending the machine back, however, and I would have asked them to verify that the pulley fit onto the motor properly before shipping it. I'm actually surprised they didn't offer to do that. I find it really hard to believe the motor bangs into the housing if installed properly. They must have built and tested at least a few prototypes before making hundreds of them. Even the most basic QA would catch that before it was approved for production.

It sounds like Grizzly could have done more to resolve the issue instead of just taking the machine back, but when I worked in the corporate world we sometimes would do that to cut our losses.

John
frigator said:

Main thing is to secure the Jointer to the pallet. It needs to be bolted or lagged into the pallet. It can't move.

If you go the route of credit card resolution and the shipper comes back to pick it up, I cannot emphasize enough that the shipping guy will take control of the packing function. All you will need to do to assist is help him push, and prod it onto the skid, he will strap it down enough to ship it. What you are talking about is "pretty", believe me this pallet will not be pretty. He will essentially be saying to the seller, put this crap in a crappy box, and I'll give you this to say what I think about it. I've been down this road a few times, and this has been my experience, your involvement sans pushing a little, is done the minute you make the credit card call. Just make sure to tell everyone the original packing is crap, and it will need to be packed for return shipping, tell this to the bank, tell it to Griz, and tell it to the shipper when they call for setting up a time to come get it. If Griz actually believes it to be unusable junk they may say keep it. If I felt it was I'd say, no you come pick up your pile of useless parts.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
FWIW, I had an issue with poor packaging on a lathe I ordered a few years ago. Part of the problem was how poorly it was packaged (all cardboard with styrofoam), and the other problem was mishandling during shipping. I had ordered the lathe from Amazon, and Amazon paid to have it shipped back to the seller. All I had to do was make sure the parts were all there. Maybe it won't help you this time, but for others considering Grizz products, consider getting it from Amazon. Then if there's an issue, Amazon takes care of the problem.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I am usually not nostalgic but this thread makes me yearn for the days when Papa Grizz would have been on here by now and the issue would have been resolved. Grizzly has grown and for the better I feel but with size we lose the personal touch of Papa Grizz and obviously some quality control issues.

Thanks OP for the lesson, which is....save your shipping boxes for a few weeks.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I had 4 compressors returned through them, on 3 had to do CC resolution to get to that point. All 4, 2 of 2 different makes, and models had the heads knocked clean off of the tank. In all cases incredibly cheap packing was the cause, and due to no bottom pallet they simply fell over during transport, couldn't even fault the shipper the packing was so cheap. They had been cleverly camouflaged to make them look whole. So after the first one Amazon was saying I was accepting them, and then they were damaged............

Amazon has a depot near Cinci, in N Ky. 2 of our employees have kids working there. It has been rumored that on a regular basis they ship out obviously flawed packages being more concerned with the quickness of shipping, rather than the wholeness of the product.

Beware of any large shipments from any company is my suggestion. Open the box in front of the shipper, and DO NOT take delivery if it appears flawed. I don't think I would have accepted a box marked one only, if 2 or more were suggested. I would have told the shipper to bring it all at once.

My thoughts on this are after a mixed experience with shipping, and receiving a lot of big packages, and unfortunately having it go South on enough occasions.

GW
RD I understand Papa still is at the other place, where a seller is protected from reality, ummmmmm provided they pony up the cash each month

GW
I havn't been on the Stepford woodworking forum in awhile.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Well I just went over after I said that, for me it's been YEARS. If there are still paying sellers I couldn't access where they are housed. KO is like that, pay the money and see the bearded Lady, no $$$$$ hit the streets gawker.................

GW
Bob10 said:

So do you have any way to rig a pulley system from your ceiling? the pulley could reduce the weight enough for you to tip the machine slowly onto a pallet allowing you to take the cabinet off and possibly box up the machine on the pallet

it is not necessary if one chose to follow the directions I spent time outlining

even the whole bolt lag down to the pallet shows just how narrow minded and brain locked the OP is over what amounts to a simple solution for shipping

there I said it next comes the accusations and preconceived conclusions

personally it would just fix it and put it in service not one thing listed in the complaints is not insurmountable but that is JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I don't think I ever said I was surprised it came in two boxes. I knew that before I ordered it. My plan was to use my concrete guys to help me pick it up. They didn't show that day so I had to pay $60 to hire two guys. There was no struggle to get it on the pallet. It has wheels I rolled it up on the pallet today. Then I jacked it up and took the wheels off then bolted it down..

I took the motor out while I was working on that thing and it was a nightmare getting it back in. I got bad knees, need a knee replacement, don't need to be down on my knees struggling to pull a motor in and out of the base of a joiner..This is a brand-new machine.

You can believe what you want but that motor is jammed in against the back of the base and against the dust chute. I emailed pictures to Grizzly showing the condition and I think that's why they said send it back. Something is definitely wrong with this assembly. You cannot move the motor back any further. You cannot align the pulley on the motor with the pulley on the cutterhead. And the pulley flies off the motor.

Well I built the whole crate today....all I need to do is put sheathing around it. I was able to screw most of the parts to the interior pallet below the table. The fence I just boxed it in. I put the wheels and the manual and everything in the base and sealed it up. This machine has no bolt holes. In most manuals for big machines I read that always advise you to bolt the machine to the floor. At some point most woodworking machines end up bolted to a pallet. But not these Chinese machines, I guess they are going to live on their wheels their whole life.