Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
I'm sorry you had to go through all of this. Really should not happen. I hope you find what you are looking for, pretty much as much as I wish Griz figures out how to make this work, as I do like and support the company. I think their heart is in the right place.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I find it hard to believe the motor would hit the dust chute or anything else if it were installed correctly. I would have asked Grizzly to send me dimensions, schematics, and photos of how it's supposed to look. If they wouldn't/couldn't do that I would have had them send me a new motor mount, motor, pulley, belt, etc. I'd be royally PO'd about the problem, but I wouldn't cut bait until I had exhausted all reasonable options.

You would do well to buy a high end, pre-assembled machine. Get a European machine and pay to have it assembled if it doesn't come completely assembled, or pay to have a service tech come to your house and assemble it. It will cost 4X as much as the Grizzly but it will be pain free and run properly for many, many years, and you will be able to sell it for a much higher % of the purchase price if you decide to do so. Or buy a high quality used machine from a reputable dealer that you can go look at and run prior to purchase. In either case, you will be getting a turn key machine that runs properly the first time you turn it on.

John
Robin,I just finished reading all the posts,then looked at your profile because I thought you were a neighbor. Two years ago I was asked to look at a jointer with almost same problems you described. This also was a Grizzly but a different model.
Took a lot of work to repair the damage. Needed new motor ,bracket and dust chute was mangled but repairable.
Apparently the motor was not tightened to the bracket.Must have slid and jambed into the dust chute.
Grizzly sent Tom a new motor ,bracket and belts.
I have the motor ,needs more work than I can do.The shaft is bent.
I have a relative that thinks it may be possible to fix it? Soon as he stops by I'll get it out of my shop.Looks like a part motor to me.

mike
Sounds pretty strange and would give me pause to ever order another thing from Grizzly. I'm wondering with he closing of the PA facilitiy, if business is tightening for them?

Back to the jointer, sound like they got some parts mixed up. If the jointer comes in two boxes, I would insist that at one of their remaining warehouses, someone opens the bottom box, and check to see if it is correct. If it is, let them ship that to you, then you unpack it, and re-use the shipping container. But to me, this does not sound positice for Grizzly.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have had the high-end European machines. I had a $10,000 Felder sliding table saw that I rarely used.. And that's not an easy machine to put together. It took a long time to dial that thing in. I do plan to get another minimax bandsaw.

I've put together three complete shops... Well the third isn't complete yet. It doesn't have a joiner. This is my third Jointer, I've had four planers, four bandsaws, three cyclones, two woodmasters, four tablesaws, and a lot of other stuff. I can put together woodworking machines. Sure you can rebuild the thing. Get all new motors and pulleys and eventually make it work. But you shouldn't have to do that with a brand-new machine

I don't know if you've ever dealt with grizzly. But I don't think they're going to send you all those things you want. The guys have the manual in front of them same as I do. You know I do this for fun. And it's not my idea of fun
To rebuild brand-new woodworking machines. This whole machine looks cheap. The pulleys are lightweight aluminum. The handles on the fence were plastic. The quality of this machine has gone downhill. It's been a major royal pain in the butt. But I'm not shedding tears to lose this machine. I'm looking at G0495x... The grizzly ultimate 8 inch joiner..
frigator said:

I've put together three complete shops... Well the third isn't complete yet. It doesn't have a joiner. This is my third Jointer, I've had four planers, four bandsaws, three cyclones, two woodmasters, four tablesaws, and a lot of other stuff. I can put together woodworking machines. Sure you can rebuild the thing. Get all new motors and pulleys and eventually make it work. But you shouldn't have to do that with a brand-new machine

What happened to them all?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I don't blame you for expecting a new machine to go together correctly, without major issues, certainly not the ones you described. So after all you've been through with this jointer why would you reward Grizzly with another order?

John
Joe while we agree on a good many things here I just can't. He buys a machine modifies it to work voids warranty and has to pay for the pleasure? The more I think about this I would offer them the opportunity to pack it up or lay a pallet up against it strap it down with the HF orange straps and call the shipper, leave it up to them to get it gone. Hell they could just push it over and load. Really if he wanted a project more than bolting the thing together he could have bought vintage and done a restoration
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I find that fixing them is faster cheaper and less hassle than shipping them back.

BTDT both ways

then again I look at warranties like gilded lilies

machines work or they don't and turnaround shipping to me is akin to going to the dentist when I do not have to
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Should not have to accept product like that and for the guys giving him a hard time saying he should keep it i just have to shake my head at some comments here sometimes.

Signs of the times!