Returning Grizz 8 in jointer, G0656XW
O gosh now you will be getting a hard time here because you have a 12" jointer!...but not by me.

All's well that ends well. This has worked out awesomely for you...congrats!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
frigator said:

Oh I thought the age mixup was funny. I can imagine the customer service guys shaking their head thinking, this person can't even get this Jointer to work.. He must be senile or something

The Jointer was picked up yesterday and is headed back to Missouri. I ended up talking with a very nice engineer named Shaun. You may have seen him in one of the videos. After he looked at everything he thinks a new longer belt may have solved the issue. That would allow us to drop the motor down which was jammed up against the dust shoot and then allowed us to pull it away from the wall just a hair. Unfortunately no one in customer service seemed to suggest that. We were all fixated on the motor and the pulley.

In any event, Sean help me pick out a new Jointer. And because of all the hassle they agreed to waive the shipping fee on the next one. So I took advantage of that and got what I really wanted which is the 12 inch joiner, the 609. It's a little big for my shop but I really wanted the extra width..

So I'm very happy with the outcome. I think it's incredible that a little customer like me with a smaller machine was able to get attention from the CEO of the company and get to talk to one of their engineers. Thank you Papa Grizz for helping me out. I look forward to getting my new jointer and continuing to enjoy the grizzly machines I already have.

Thank you for your patience with us.

Someone in the Tech department got flogged 20 times (the difference between age 80 and 60 ).

Shaun is good engineer - he has been overseas many, many times to all of the various factories and is very knowledgeable and been with the company for over 15 years. You spoke with someone that really knows those machines well!

The 12" jointer that you picked with the spiral cutterhead is pretty heavy duty and you should have many years of enjoyment from it. I use another version of that in my shop at home and a 12" width is an absolute joy to use. The spiral CH makes the finish look great and very little, if any, tearout on highly figured woods.
Jonny Rocket said:

[blockquote]Papagrizzly said:

This is what happens when you post a problem on web. You get good advice as well the dumb ones:

"smash it and send the cast iron parts to them"

"a race to the bottom"

"do a credit card chargeback"

Plus some of the Grizzly bashers whose names I recognize from years past surfaced to take the opportunity, and a lot of speculation from "experts" in the keyboard field, no doubt.

I do not like to play out a customer's issue on a forum but the main thing I can gather from order notes is that there is an alignment problem of the motor pulley with the cutter head pulley. OP - an engineer (American) who was there during factory assembly will be calling you soon to hopefully guide you.

Another note - the customer is a older gentleman (around 80) and we are working with him.

Yet another note - you think we came this far in business by not taking care of customers? We remain the largest woodworking machinery company in the USA, and have processes in place to avoid issues. However, sometimes things do fall through the cracks even though we have offices in China and Taiwan with qualified QC engineers that check machines as they are produced. We also send our American and German engineers to the factories for extended periods of time.

The machine is top heavy and they are packed in two crates to avoid tipping over.

Don't get mad at us because your CS failed the guy and he asked for advice.

[/blockquote]

Hello, yes this Papa.

As you are fully aware this is not the first time a product found to be defective by someone here needed escalation to the top offices after CS didn't make the customer feel like the valued person that you should. I have been considering a few equipment changes and had considered Grizzly, however your response left my feet a bit cold, and I'm thinking there are a few other manufacturers out there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Congrat's on your new Aircraft Carrier! Had no doubt that they would take care of you.
The folks at the Springfield complex have always taken care of me whether it was a new machine or parts for a used one that I purchased from CL. Several of the people have been there since day one.
Although I have always picked up my items, you never really know the condition until crate is opened and equipment assembled. Have run into issues, but they were always resolved in a professional manner.
Just learning how to post pictures. Here is what the motor looked like: " />

" />
I think I got the photo deal figured out. .Here was a man size jointer:

" />
The shop and some machines:

" />

" />

" />

Really miss this space. Esp that lifting beam.
Congrats on your new jointer. Your shop is NICE! From your pics of the motor, it appears to me the bracket was installed backwards. Rotating it 180° would realign the slots. But I'm sure they'll figure that out. I know that dismounting a motor and remounting it isn't the easiest thing to accomplish.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Frigator

I took the shop pics to be your previous shop and tools, not the current shop. Am I wrong? Ken