sandalwood
Ok woodworking/woodturning friends I have this hunk of sandalwood some friends brought back from India. It's wet wood. Right now it's wrapped in newspaper and stored in a plastic bag.... But it's started to check a little bit on one side. What should I do with it? It smells great! 😁 Too small to make much other than a couple small turned projects of some kind.

-Nik

Tech / Woodworking blog: http://digitalwoodworker.com
@nikbrown
You can seal the ends with Anchorseal or paraffin wax to keep it from losing water so fast.

I have never dealt with sandalwood or read anything about it but I know others will know more.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Cut out the part with the pith in it as soon as you can. Then seal the ends.
VH07V  
EightFingers said:

Cut out the part with the pith in it as soon as you can. Then seal the ends.

Looks like the strain has been relieved by a radial check already. No sense sacrificing any more.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.