Teak Furniture Care - Top Coat
Ok...so I took leap of faith and wound up with a pretty nice patio set from an estate sale for a decent price. While trying to clean the chairs and such with a pressure washer, I hit the teak table, leaving some streaks. So I went ahead and pressure washed the whole table. It was covered with all kinds of organic growth, etc. I've since learned that pressure washing teak might not be the best idea. One site said it reduces life by 80%. I don't know. Seems everyone that says it's a bad idea is trying to sell a product. The streaks were just streaks in the grey patina and organic growth. No damage caused.

All that said, what has the brain trust had luck with as far as keeping the teak looking good? I think the wife would prefer the reddish teak color. I don't think I want to be refinishing this furniture every year. Or every three or even five years. But I really want it to last. Is there a product to use? An exterior clear coat? Just leave it natural? Of coarse I know there is no such thing as 'teak oil' so that is already off the table.

Just looking for advice and real work experience. Thanks in advance.
Never seen a way around refinishing it every year if outside.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I would look at something along the lines of a marine grade varnish/poly like Epifanes. The even make products specifically for teak shown on their web page.

Epifanes alone is a high quality finish made for the marine environment with UV inhibitors, so you will probably get away with not having to finish as often as with a lower quality product.
I have a real Teak wood patio table and chair set too. Teak is normally chemically cleaned of mold and mildew and the grayness brightened before the application of one coat of a quality oil finish not a varnish. Check with a Marine supply.

Uv Rays will most likely begin to gray the wood in about 90+ days again where the process needs to be repeated. I have had zero issue in using a power washer to clean the Teak from the attack of mildew and Uv over the past 12 years I have owned and maintained the patio set. Teak has a high silica content that really protects the wood from rot and is not dependent upon a surface finish.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Teak is a wood that requires refinishing, maybe a couple of times a year. Never heard of getting more than a year. Minwax Teak oil is available at Hoe Depot. Having owned boats with lots of teak it had to be oiled several times a season. Like others have said, you will never get away without refinishing every year. Teak is a lot of work, if you are not prepared to do the work, may as well sell it. That was my most hated job on my boat.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Epifanes will give you at least a year, and maybe 2 or 3 before required maintenance. But if you don't keep up before it's required the time it will take to restore it is excessive. I would not go that route. I'd clean it first with something like Cabots Deck Brightener and Cleaner to get the dirt out and color back, and then use an oil finish with UV inhibitors as often as required.

I'm in the middle of doing my Ipe' deck right now. In less than a year it went from gorgeous to pretty ugly. The Deck Brightener cleaned and brought the color back very nicely. I'm going to oil again with Ipe' Oil, and then do it again before the end of the year to try to prevent the greying. As someone noted, it starts to fade within a couple of three months. If I'm unsatisfied with Ipe' Oil I'll try Penofin Marine Oil.

Exterior natural wood = maintenance.

John
chips ahoy said:

Teak is a wood that requires refinishing, maybe a couple of times a year. Never heard of getting more than a year. Minwax Teak oil is available at Hoe Depot. Having owned boats with lots of teak it had to be oiled several times a season. Like others have said, you will never get away without refinishing every year. Teak is a lot of work, if you are not prepared to do the work, may as well sell it. That was my most hated job on my boat.

Mel

Are you saying that you need refinishing to keep the brown color? Or in general?

I'm good with grey if it means less maintenance.

Woodenfish said:

I have had zero issue in using a power washer to clean the Teak from the attack of mildew and Uv over the past 12 years I have owned and maintained the patio set. Teak has a high silica content that really protects the wood from rot and is not dependent upon a surface finish.

Great to hear that you haven't had any issues. I'm hoping I won't either. The real world experience was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Have you done anything to the teak or left it raw and grey?
If you and the "boss" are happy with the grey look, it won't need any top coating. However if you want that nice teak color, it will be a constant cleaning and oiling issue. Teak oil is available at Home Depot or a marine supply house. Nothing looks better that beautiful oiled teak, but it is a lot of work.

Mel
chips ahoy said:

Mel

Have teak on the boat now, it looks great, until you stop to admire it, then you need to work on it again
no permiti el bicho morderte
glad I don't have a boat anymore or anything made from teak. It is a beautiful wood but it needs constant work.

Mel