Face frames around 4 sides, how to join them
Im currently rebuilding the lally column covers in our remodelled basement. Of course the wife took to pinterest and found some fancy looking thing (its just a box!) which is the standard box around a column but it has face frames on each side.

My question is how to attach the face frames to each other....do I bevel/chamfer the edges so they butt against each other and make the 90? Do I use a double wide piece of material at each side and v-groove it to attempt to fold it over the 90 degree angle on the box?

Keep in mind they are sort of tall (6'). It only needs to be painted, though, so material choice isn't a big issue.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
What are you making them from? Will they be painted or...?
DaveR1 said:

What are you making them from? Will they be painted or...?

This is from the original post.

Keep in mind they are sort of tall (6'). It only needs to be painted, though, so material choice isn't a big issue.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Missed that.

Still, what material?
Np

The rest of the covers are primed and painted MDF. I assumed I would make the face frames out of the same since it seems like a waste to buy pine, poplar, etc just to cover it up with paint.
I'd just rip the stiles on two sides narrower by the thickness of the stock and glue the pieces together.
Seems like an easy job to me. Just butt joint it and countersink screws. Wood filler to cover holes and paint.

You could attach two sides to one "other" side with pocket screws. The last side do as I mentioned above.
We're at a disadvantage since we don't know how ridiculously fancy the face frames are going to be.

Agree with making 2 sides shorter and butt joining. Mitering MDF doesn't get you anywhere if it's going to be painted.

I have a staple gun that will join 2x3/4" boards together, so I would glue and staple with corner blocks for extra glue strength. Finish nails would work too.

Seems that with MDF and paint, you should be able to butt join the frames invisibly using just about any method.
Long mitered joints like that kinda need to be rounded over(necessary with MDF) to prevent chipping/etc.

By using the thinner/wider stiles, the wider ones can be rounded over before installation.
Rabbet two sides to receive the other sides. Leave the rabbet sides proud 1/4". Example, two frames 10" x 72" with 3/4" x 1/4" deep rabbets set in 1". This gives you a 1/4" reveal. You can glue up three sides ,install the panel and then glue up the last side.
This is often done to avoid miter joints on long pieces. The 1/4" is not set in stone. 1/8" or even flush is also used often.
mike