Craftsman Radial armsaw motor - need.
I have a Craftsman radial armsaw and the motor has quit. Get a loud hum when turn on, will not start, then trips and have to reset. I have taken it apart somewhat, cleaned it out with air, no change. Local Sears Repair Center perm closed. Contacted them on phone, and I might as well been talking about shoes that need new heels - no help. I am NOT getting rid of this saw. (you either like it or you don't) Have had it since 1975, model 113.23100. Many parts obsolete. Any idea where I would be able to get a new motor? thanks your assist.
Get a hold of Emerson . I think they have a few laying around .
On a more serious note ... I would keep an eye on craiglist for a donor machine .

Here is pittsburgh as an example

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

You don't need Sears, a motor shop can probably help if you're intent on keeping it. That motor has a capacitor...and it's a good bet that's what is bad. The drawing on ereplacementparts is so bad I can't tell where the capacitor is located, but you may have to separate the motor housing. The small black cylinder (if there) is the capacitor and it may stink and be leaking oil. If so (or even if it isn't) replace it. The other thing is the centrifugal switch might just be clogged with sawdust (opposite side of the blade). A good blowing out with compressed air might clear it up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have had a number of older CM ras's like yours and liked using them.
I used mine untill I found a similial model in better condition, and sent the motor from the one replaced in for the $100 recall bounty.
Then I bought a nice old Red Star ras, and a while later an old Dewalt ras.
Far superior designs! Much better saws. Been there, done that.
You could buy this saw for $75, and send in the CM motor for $100, and have a better saw, and $25 in your pocket!
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/5656155021.html
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
much appreciated - thanks - I have blown it out number of times, Will redo- (I was crosscutting 1/4" oak ply when it stopped. Adjusting to cross cutting on a table saw, after 36 years, strinks! I gotta have this back) -

again, thanks.
..again, thanks, will look into that also
You need to replace your start capacitor. Mine was doing the same thing. I changed out the capacitor and all is well. It's an easy fix, pretty much plug and play. I think I got mine from ereplacemantparts.com

Good luck
George
George....
Noted and just ordered. (looks like that is where you got it)
Buy another saw and scavenge the motor - or scrap your and just use the one you buy.

??

I've seen those old C'mans on CL as cheap as 50 bucks.
Also check the centrifugal switch, if it has one, or the potential relay if that's what it has instead of a centrifugal switch.

Start winding could also be fried. Which is usually terminal on such a small motor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"