Wood id help
All guesses seem reasonable--mine is poplar. I would take this opportunity to make it better as the originals were probably marginal to begin with. Why not find some good 5/4 stock and make a pair? At the same time you can re-engineer the bottom with a box to accept a modern mattress. The current trend is foam mattress over plywood box--no more spring sets. A little bit of work could really make the bed nice. I am sure the recipients would appreciate anything you do that makes their bed more sturdy.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
If the pictures are realistic it's more likely poplar: the grain is too straight and repetitive for pine and the green in the bottom of the top photo is an easy match to poplar.
Pine--unless meaning generic white wood--typically has more figure such as cathedrals and knots especially in a board as wide as shown.
Normally, newly exposed pine wouldn't be green as shown.
That's my best guess without seeing end grain.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
It might be gum.
Alder?

Ed
Looks like you'll be working on the foot board. ---- Sorry couldn't resist.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
ha ha. Those are my son's feet. He took the pics.

I'm going with Poplar. I remembered I have a few pieces in my stash and I believe that will be fine. I've already got the piece sized. Next up i'll dig some mortises for the hooks on each end then round it over and finish.

carl