I purchase a Graco 4900 HVLP today....
John,

You are right.....BIN is wonderful to spray. Even better is the piece of mind knowing you can sand out any boo boos easily.

I just shot Advance for the first time after thinning 10% and using a 2.2 needle. My air was on max. I got very good atomization but I'm curious if I'd get killer atomization with the 1.8. My finish looked a tad orange peely at first but it smoothed out wonderfully with a little time. These turned legs are a bear to shoot with the white over white. So far so good but the imperfections sure do come out of no where when you add some satin sheen. The Advance satin is on the high end of the satin sheen chart, IMO. The SG must glow....

Add an ounce or two of Floetrol and it will flow out with less chance of orange peel. Does not thin, you still need the splash of water.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Glad to hear you were able to spray the Advance, Damon.  It's amazing how that stuff flows out after a few minutes as long as you have it on heavy enough that it doesn't set up too quickly.  It sure takes a long time to really get hard, though, several weeks. 

I pretty much hate paint jobs.  As you said, it just shows every defect, including the ones you didn't know were there before you started painting or thought you had fixed after a coat of primer.  Where do they come from?  

John
Advance does take considerable time to harden but it's worth it compared to the old OB enamels. Nothing worse than scrubbing with orange fast pumice soap due to spraying oil. This is only the second time I've sprayed a WB product and it's nice not having the garage stink.

I just finished shooting GF HP poly over the Advance. 1.3 needle with no thinning. It's a joy to spray as well. Excellent atomization with a very controllable volume. Nice thin coats with full coverage. I shot 2 and will probably add another in the morning. I played it safe with the first coat but laid it on a bit heavier with the second. It has great hang on verticals and boy does it dry fast. I wanted to use the Enduro clear based on your thoughts but this was locally available and my manager has me on a tight schedule. The HP should be more than adequate for durability and I'm glad I added it over the advance. Just the feel of it is slicker. Kind of like lacquer. Paint grabs a bit more on the touch. I'm itching to try the Eduro white poly. This 4 stage HVLP and I are getting along great. $120 well invested. I'd still take the airless on a big paint or lacquer project but product does go very far with this cup gun. Now I need to start studying up on the Ford cup a bit more and keeping a journal. I'm really loving these WB products now.

Rob, is the Flotrol basically and extender creating a longer open time? Personally, I think I'll drop to a 1.8 needle next time I shoot the Advance and that should give me better atomization given the reduced orfice. The volume reduction is fine as I can slow down the application rate and "camp" out longer.

I stopped out at Metro Hardwoods a few days ago and asked about their grain fillers. The guy at the counter brought up plaster of Paris and I shrugged it off in my mind. He went over to the computer and pulled up a thread by none other than yourself. You are obviously a local celebrity at Metro. You and Greg
Smile

Metro is light on celebrities, obviously. Although, Rob is a celebrity from here all the way down to the Antarctic. He even has a sticker on Schwartz's campaign chest.
I wish I'd have known you were dropping in there, I could have met you there. I'm only 2 miles away from the place. Being this is my first job after I retired, just to get out of the house occasionally, I only work 5-10 hours per week, normally. I may add a job at the golf course next spring. Loving the employee discounts.

So, you are loving your 4 stage, eh? I'm still waffling between a 4 stage turbine and that QualSpray 6008. I'm not in a hurry to buy but after sinking more $$ in Festool, I'm trying to stay under $500 for my spraying option.

Just not sure if the turbine is worth the extra for how little I spray, and I also want to be able to spray all finishes with one unit.

I've been mumbling to myself over this decision for a couple weeks now.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Greg,

I like the portability of the turbine unit but if I had a dedicated spray booth or area in my shop, I'd go with the Qualspray based on John T's recommendation. I'm sure it will be cheaper too.

I wouldn't waste your time with anything less than a 4 stage. I'd have a 5 or even a 6 stage if I were to replace this. This 4900 isn't the best money can buy but it's no slouch either and I'm tickled with it.

Metro is really a great place and reasonable prices on basic goods. It's nice to have a store close by instead of fighting traffic to Lenexa. It would be nice to see Metro expand their finishing section. It quite small given all the wood they stock. People who buy wood need finishes too.

I about fell over when I saw their box of walnut cut offs for $4 each. I need to start selling them my scraps. Walnut is through the roof. That burnt through colored infused ash was neat. I'd never seen such a thing. That was my first visit to Metro's new store.

Damon, the Metro finishing selection is destined to enlarge. Probably fairly soon. We just started picking up the GF line a couple months ago - believe it or not, due in large part to the raves I heard here on WN about their products! The GF stuff has been flying off the shelves, and the GF staff are fantastic to work with.

We've carried the Cambia Poplar for a long time, but the Cambia Ash is recent. Maybe a couple months now. Much stronger and more pronounced grain than the poplar version. Easy to work with and insects won't touch it.

I may start a new thread here to get more opinions on good 4 stage turbine units. I've read tons, and it seems I may not be able to find a 4 stage full spectrum turbine for under $500. If that's the case, then I'll go with the QualSpray HVLP. I'm also taking another look at the SprayFine A401 unit that Rob bought. He's happy with it, and it was around $550 with lots of extras.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Floetrol is an extended for latex/acrylic paints. 

Been messing with Plaster of Paris as grain filler. Works but my first test didn't color the fill well. Left some white down in grain (ash).  Next test should pre color the PP.  In fact after the next cup of coffee I may wander out to the garage and test.

Floetrol is an extended for latex/acrylic paints. 

Been messing with Plaster of Paris as grain filler. Works but my first test didn't color the fill well. Left some white down in grain (ash).  Next test should pre color the PP.  In fact after the next cup of coffee I may wander out to the garage and test.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin