Has anyone seen the photo of the tool?
Dave Herring hit the jackpot Saturday when he bought a ... well, he wasn’t exactly sure what it was.

The metal contraption, which included a wooden handle, was small enough to fit in one hand.

“It’s a tool that I’m just curious what it is, so I bought it,” he said. “I collect tools, but this one’s new to me. I’m going to research it.”

Moments after he finished the transaction, Herring held the implement at his chest while his wife, Karen, snapped a photo with her phone.

She planned to email it to Roy Underhill, a North Carolina man who hosts a PBS show about woodworking. They hope Underhill will reply with an explanation about how the hand tool is used.

Even if it’s rare, Herring’s $5 find isn’t destined to be resold at a profit. He has “a garage full” of antique tools, his wife said, but buys them only if he can use them.

Now, Herring just has to figure out how to use it.

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/local...s-14041341
I'm pretty sure it is an early "whatsit". I have a few variations in my shop.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com