which thickness planer
I'm in the market for a new planer. My Delta 22-540 started making clattering noises yesterday, and the feed rollers quit working. After reading an earlier post here about Delta, I think I will stay away. So I am looking for suggestions, I've read that the Dewalt 735W gets good reviews, but thats a bit steep for me. I am just a hobbyist and am looking for a good machine that's a decent price. Thanks for any suggestions.
I would search for an older, American-made, cast iron unit. It may require some maintenance, such as new bearings and pulleys, but you'll likely end up with a better, less expensive tool.

Unless you require a bench top, then I can't help you there.
Semper fi,
Brad

Pull the side cover off of your Delta and look to see if the drive pulley for the cutterhead may have come off. I recall there was an issue with this happening a few years ago.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Check the drive pulley as suggested. Make sure the key is still in place
I have a Ridgid and am happy with it- other than HD no longer stocks the blades. The only "portable" I would consider us the Dewalt- I hate being jerked around by HD.
I would look for a used Dewalt if I were you. Personally, my next planer will be a heavy, stay in place piece of cast iron.

If I was in the market today for another planer I would go with the Dewalt 735W. My impression is that it's the best "portable" planer in it's size. Yes, it's pricey but they come up on craigslist all the time. The other option may be the Ridgid planer available at Home Depot. I've read good things about them, as well. Have fun shopping around and let us know what you end up with.
The planer you have is a decent planer as far as lunchbox planners go. If it were me unless I was going to upgrade to a 15-20" machine I would try to repair what you have. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to spend $500 to buy basically the same exact planer you have when you can repair the one you have for a few dollars. I would just start taking it apart until you find the problem and order the replacement part. Worst case is you still have a planer that doesn't work. There are a few companies out there that still stock the parts you would need. I just rebuilt a dewalt SCMS and can give you the parts supplier if you need it. They carry Delta parts also.
Where are you located? I know of a couple of planers near Louisville!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I'm will to bet it can be fixed.

If you have a DW service center nearby I would take it and get a diagnosis, then decide if its worth the repair.
I had a delta lunch box- recurring issue was the drive pulley would loosen up. Even with lock tight. Eventually the key way in the pulley and shaft got nasty. Enter my Ridgid. See my earlier post regarding the Ridgid

Check the Makita 2012NB reviews. It's pricey but relatively quiet (1/4 the noise of the DeWalt DW735). If you're considering a 735, definitely find one to listen to before you buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-2012NB-12-...B000051ZOO