which thickness planer
First: What is a decent price? 'Sorta' difficult to make a recommendation without having an idea of how much you want to spend.

See Fine Woodworking, April 2016, No. 253, for a 6 page 'Tool Test" of various portable planners -- Dewalt (2), Ridgid, Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, General, Makita, Rikon(2), and Triton.

The DeWalt 735X rated Best Overall, the Ridgid R4331 "Best Value", and compared very favourably to the DeWalt 735.

If parts are still available, agree that attempting to find the problem and repairing your planer is a worthwhile option.
I bought a Ridgid planer, 2 blades, 16 years ago. It has seen all kinds of abuse, But to this day in planes as nicely as day one. I'd always buy one of those again. Blades are on ebay.
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
(07-12-2016, 07:30 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Where are you located?  I know of a couple of planers near Louisville!

I agree with WT, post your location as far as city or at least county and state. Someone on here may have a deal for you sitting there waiting for you to ask.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Have you looked at the Dewalt 734?  I've had one for over 10 years and I'm happy with it.
Be sure to get one with a cutterhead lock and a dust chute.  DW734 and Ridgid R4331 come to mind.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Pull the side and look.  One the of the drive sprockets on mine has come of twice over the years.  Simple DIY fix.
(07-26-2016, 09:20 PM)Texan Wrote: Have you looked at the Dewalt 734?  I've had one for over 10 years and I'm happy with it.

Same here - a good workhorse at a bit lower price than the 735.
I'm with smpr fi mac on buying an older USA stationary planer.
After 2 lunch boxes (Delta and Powermatic) I bought a Boice-Crane 12" planer and was a believer.
Later I sold it, to buy a Delta 13" stationary planer. Both are great planers. Only reason to sell the B-C was it was a direct drive, and took up more shop space.
B-C was bought off CL for $180, and the Delta at a yard sale for $100. Both need a cleaning and setup. Snipe free when done.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer