A glue question
I have a customer that has some Formica covered

doors that he would like some Pine slates glued to

the front, I have always used Titebond ll for all my

woodworking projects but I wonder if any of you

guys have tried this and what kind of glue you used.

I was going to sand the area with 60 grit sandpaper

I could sure use some help on this one.

Thanks

Mike D
I assume shiplapped pine?

Titebond any one will not work well in this application

how big are the doors?

and what sort of clamping choices do you have at your disposal.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

They are cabinet doors 28x18
he wants 2 inch x 1/4 inch slats glued
to the outside edge of the Formica front of each door

for the perimeter I would use Gorilla glue (This is one of the few times you will ever see me suggest this Glue.)

I would make a couple of kerf cuts on the inside about 1/4" from that edge about 1/8" deep (a glue trap). Rough up the formica as you stated, wet the formica (yes wet it not a lot just wet. Then (and this will take some experimenting) add gorrilla glue to the two parts spread it out with a credit card or similar then cover the pine with a caul and clamp it to the door with clamps at least every 8"

After the glue has cured you can trim the excess off the outside edges with a sharp chisel

The kerf if done correctly should trap the glue preventing it from migrating to the inside of the door slab. that is why it is important to control your glue to just enough to keep the mess to a minimum
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

You might try Lexel--glues anything to just about anything.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
The wood portion is fairly easy, plenty of stuff to adhere to wood, particular if it is roughed up a bit. Formica is basically a paper sandwich, with an abundance of glues, and surface protectors applied between layers, and coated on top. You first need to really clean it up. Murphys oil soap or a prep wash like that will remove kitchen grease and grime. Then you might want to scratch sand the surface to get a base the glue can stick to. Gorilla glue or one of those sticks to anything wonder glues will likely get it done. If I was doing it I would find some scrap Formica, or buy a sink cutout to experiment with to see if it is doing what you want it to.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Nickel size dots of panel adhesive.
mike
Make new doors. Maybe not cheaper, but neater & easier.

Unless of course, it matches cabinets. Then disregard this post.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!