Which ROS?
You must be talking about a different Bosch sander. The ROS65VC with on board canister had the best results in FWW's test a few years ago, better than the Festool. With vacuum they were both similar, maybe the Festool was slightly better. I can't remember because I was focused on the results using the on board canister. Having used it now for about 3 years I am very happy with its performance and with the dust collection. It does a very good job as long as the whole pad sits on the wood. When it's hanging over the edge, of course it's less effective, as any sander would be.

John
I have the Ridgid and it does a great job. I tend to use a little higher grit than most for finish sanding, but it hasn't left swirl marks on the lower grits either.

I removed the little baggy and just connect the shop vac hose directly to it. Dust collection has been fantastic.
The Bosch units are listed as PRIME DAY deals but don't seem to be any great deal at all. A couple of bucks off.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Phil,
Check that auction site and CL. I got lucky a couple of weeks ago and picked up an almost new 5" Mirka Ceros for @ $220. It's the nicest sander I've owed. It's the older model with a transformer but that's not a problem for me as I'm only sanding at my bench. (Note: There were some recalled Ceros sanders but mine was not one of them.) My wife saw that I needed a hose and fixed me up from her scrap pile. It's much lighter than the Festool hose and fits perfectly. Keep an eye out you might stumble on a good deal like I did.

Lonnie

I bought a Ryobi RS290G on sale at Lowes last November
for $30. It's a 5", 8 hole sander.

I have tortured this tool from day one & it's still going strong.
Isn't the Ceros an amazing sander? I love mine. It is the mid orbit one (I think 3/16") and in the not so distant future with I plan to get the fine orbit one. It is so light, no vibration and almost no dust when hooked to a vac. If you are using Abranet, I do suggest you get one or two of those sacrificial pads so that you save your hook and loop on the sander.
I really like the Abranet. My sander came with a hard pad on it so I replaced it and got a couple of the sacrificial pads at the same time. I am impressed with how smooth it is and no dust! The hose in my pictures is so light you don't even know it's there. You only feel the weight of the cord. This is a far cry from the sander I was using.

Lonnie
My older Bosch died and I replaced it with a new Bosch and the difference was amazing. I imagine that is typical with good quality sanders. Not sure what changed but it is smoother operating and the finish is much better. I suspect you will find what ever you buy will be a step up from you old one.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Herb G said:

I bought a Ryobi RS290G on sale at Lowes last November
for $30. It's a 5", 8 hole sander.

I have tortured this tool from day one & it's still going strong.

Ryobi is kinda my go-to tool brand but the Ryobi at HD (I think only HD carries Ryobi, not Lowes) is $40. And I've seen people rave about brands that don't leave swirls. Given that my PC left swirls, and seeing the Bosch was only $30 more than the Ryobi, and seeing as I had $25 in Menards cash, and seeing as John likes the Bosch a lot, well, I went and got the Bosch this evening.

Won't be able to try it until this weekend, though.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
iublue said:

Isn't the Ceros an amazing sander? I love mine. It is the mid orbit one (I think 3/16") and in the not so distant future with I plan to get the fine orbit one. It is so light, no vibration and almost no dust when hooked to a vac. If you are using Abranet, I do suggest you get one or two of those sacrificial pads so that you save your hook and loop on the sander.

The Ceros sanders have been discontinued.