Pullout Kichen Pantry Installation
Today I installed the kitchen pantry and companion cabinet I completed a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't believe how smoothly it went; my measurements and planning must have been good.

The pullout pantry, on the left fits tight to the left wall and the right side of the face frame overlaps that of the pre-existing center cabinet. That gave me a little more interior width for the pullout shelves and, just as importantly, a way to slide the cabinet into place as it had to clear the doorway trim. It actually fit perfectly into place with no scribing required. Amazing luck. Through good or bad planning the toe kicks lined up flush at the front.

The right cabinet sits behind the center cabinet faceframe. I did that so the top (an old vanity top I'm cutting to fit) will not project beyond the faceframe, and to make egress to the hallway a little easier.

I forgot to take a picture with the pantry door open today, but I posted some earlier, and I'll try to remember to take some when I install the little cabinet top later this week. I made a template today and now just have to cut it fit.

Not only did it all go very easily, including transporting that 82" high cabinet inside my Subaru Outback (that's for you KCFS), but the customer gave me a 25% bonus! Never, ever, have I gotten anything close to that before. They were over the moon happy with how it all looks and functions, and I was happy how well it came out.

Think I'll splurge and have two beers tonight.

Thanks for looking.

John

PS: The Harbor Freight multi-tool I bought a couple of months ago saved my bacon yet again cutting the baseboard molding for the little cabinet to slide into place.
It looks like it was all built as one.
Pretty sweet.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Great match on the finish. No one would ever guess. Ken
No pics for me
Wipedout said:

No pics for me

Same here !

Steve
Sorry, this seems to be a problem for some folks when I post pictures from Google Photos. It might depend on your operating system; I'm not sure.

So here they are via Picasa

John
John, I know you're a professional, but I'm going to say it anyway: That is a very beautiful, professional job!

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I'm not really a pro, although I do sell some stuff. I consider a pro as someone who makes his living doing something. If I had to eat from what I produce I'd starve. But if your compliment was because you thought my work looked as if a pro had done it, then I thank you very much, and others, too. Much appreciated.

John
As promised here is a photo of pantry cabinet opened up, with some stuff stored on the shelves. The KitchenAid mixer fits great on the bottom shelf.

And here is the vanity top that I cut to fit on top of the small cabinet. I bought it for $30 at a Restore. I couldn't find a local counter top company to make a Corian one for less than $185. Are you kidding me. Nor would they sell me a sink cutout.

You might notice that it's not perfectly level. That's because the built up front and right side edge doesn't quite clear the cabinet side, so I have to add some wood spacers under it bring if up level. I'll just glue them on with construction adhesive and then glue the whole thing to the top of the cabinet.

Cutting the resin/stone dust vanity top wasn't all that hard. I used a diamond blade on my angle grinder. I cut about 1/8" from my scribe lines, and then nibbled up to about 1/32" from the line, and then used an old SiC abrasive stone to file it to the line. It took about 20 or 30 minutes. The top fits to the cabinet and wall like a glove.

As part of this project I also built two rather large pull out deep drawers to replace two very shallow pullout shelves. Now whatever gets put in the drawers stays in the drawers, and they can't be overfilled or they won't close. These folks have too much stuff and this limits how much stuff they can put in these cabinets. These drawers are made with 1/2" BB plywood sides, back, and bottom, and a 3/4" BB front. They are heavy and very solid.

And that's a wrap. Thanks for looking.

John
Great job ! I like it a lot. As for cutting a resin top, I'm speaking of cultured marble, the man made stuff, typically, I cut close to the finished dimension with a jig saw or circular saw then belt sand to the line. Once you break through the top coat, it's just the resin core, sands quickly. Unfortunately, where I work, the designers can't read a tape measure and we have to adjust our tops way too often.

Seriously, I like your design and install.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry