Jet 1642EVS
I'm going to be upgrading my lathe to a 1642EVS, not sure if I'm going to get the 1.5 or 2HP version. I've searched here on WN, but no discussion on how they like/dislike the machine. Does anyone here use one? Pros/Cons??

TIA, Steve
We have the 1642EVs 1.5HP. We like it. It is a very good 110V lathe. As I have gotten more confidence and have started turning truly rough semi-dry half-log sections, I find that I can certainly stall it if I get too aggressive, but that is fact and not complaint. It actually helps me learn what I am doing less well than I could be.'

I am still working on getting 220V ino the shop for the larger lathes, jointer, and DC.

The 1642 is a good height for me. I am ~5'10". It is a little tall for my BIL. For my sister and for the niece living locally, I decked a long pallet with a piece of 3/4" ply. That raises them enough so that it is a good height for them.

Ours was a Woodcraft classroom lathe for a number of years before we got it. Other than having to clean up the headstock end of the spindle threads, it survived the classroom experience and had worked well for us for a few years now. I think that the thread damage was caused by someone being really forceful trying to remove a chuck without backing out the grub screw enough. They folded over the end of the thread before someone figured it out.

I think that quite a few here either use one or had one on their way to a big PM or a Robust.

With 4 turners in the family, I'll be keeping the 1642 even after I get the 220V for the 3520 and the Woodfast M508. The 1014 is stayin as well and there is a NIB 1014 waiting for the niece to get her shop setup. (Not that she know it yet. )
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Had my 1642 EVS 1.5HP for almost 4 years now - no regrets.

More HP, bigger capacity, more weight would be nice, but I don't see myself spending more money on a bigger lathe.

Hope this helps.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
I have had the 1642 for a year or so now. I opted for the 2hp one with a bed extension. Having upgraded from an entry level Grizzly, this is really nice. I have not had any issues. Having the digital speed is nice. I have turned some bed posts, quite a few bowls and plates with this lathe and does what I need. I built a box under mine and filled with sand to help with vibration. I would recommend this lathe.
Thanks for the reply guys! I've been wondering if this lathe is heavy enough where I wouldn't have to mess around with sandbags. I guess I have my answer. I've seen other reviews over at Amazon that talk a little bit about the vibration.

I have a 220 outlet in the garage, but can easily install one in the basement which is where I'd like to put this machine. So, I'm inclined to get the 2HP version.
I bought a 1.5hp version about nine years ago. at the time it was $1200 with the bed extension and the 2hp was $400 more. At the time the difference in price was not worth getting an extra .5hp. My opinion has not changed.

At the time I thought 16" swing would be plenty adequate and that the $2200 for the PM3520 wasn't worth the extra $1k.

My opinion on that has changed. Numerous times I wished I had the extra swing for larger projects. If I end up getting a larger lathe I will get a north American made lathe. At the current cost of a Taiwanese made machine, the extra premium for American/Canadian made is worth it.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
CloseShave said:

Thanks for the reply guys! I've been wondering if this lathe is heavy enough where I wouldn't have to mess around with sandbags. I guess I have my answer. I've seen other reviews over at Amazon that talk a little bit about the vibration.

I have a 220 outlet in the garage, but can easily install one in the basement which is where I'd like to put this machine. So, I'm inclined to get the 2HP version.

With EVS, you don't get the full oomph, as you do with straight drive, so the 2HP rated would be a better choice if you're heavy handed. I'm a 1HP rated Nova 3000, and no problems, as it is a mechanical drive.

Don't worry about what weight of metal is provided with the machine. You can bolt any amount you care to on it if you don't use reasonable rounding for normal, or do a lot of off-center stuff. Otherwise known as the "Weeble" principal. Off-center stuff should really be counterweighted or counterbored for weight reduction if possible in preference to beating the lathe and operator up. Main thing is to shim the machine firmly to the floor so it won't move.

Edit: They did move the toolpost off center, didn't they? Should be.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Steve

My turning club just bought one and it looks really nice and I like how the headstock locks down from the top instead of the back bottom like the Powermatic.

However I did notice it is a light lathe and you will have to make a sand box with several hundred pounds of sand in it so it will not shake to much when something is out of round.

Good luck on getting a new lathe and I am looking forward to seeing what you make.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The wood working club I belong to has eight 1642EVS lathes. Understand they get some pretty heavy use. I do know the club has had to replace a few motors over the years. The biggest reason for that is that people tend to tension the belts to heavily and that causes the bearings to fail. As for the torque issue, that is true, you will lose a little torque at the low end. To me, it's a non issue because with step pulleys you'll lose a little torque at the high end. In either case it's not worth worrying about. The 1642EVS's are great lathes.
Steve K

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I've decided to get the 220 version, but I'll need to get a new outlet installed. One step at a time!

Thanks again!! Regards, Steve