Which Glue?
I am preparing to repair my grandmother's oak dining room table and chairs (maybe 80 years old). What glue would you recommend in reassembling the mortise and tenon joints?
Stove M said:

I am preparing to repair my grandmother's oak dining room table and chairs (maybe 80 years old). What glue would you recommend in reassembling the mortise and tenon joints?

Have you determined what type was originally used? Better than even odds it was hide glue. If hide glue, use hide glue. Clean out any loose debris and just re-glue w/ hide glue. The old glue will re-activate and stick to the new.

If not hide glue, you will likely need to remove all old glue residue before re-gluing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I use titebond 2 for the majority of my repairs. Every now and then I use some epoxy if joints are on the loose side. It is better to build the joint up if very loose.. I don't want my glue joints to be reversible I want them to stay glued for many years. This was what the folks using hide glue wanted but it was all they had at the time. Hide glue has passed it's time. Yes you do have to clean things up, but you should anyway for a good glue up with any kind of glue.
I know hide glue would be the "right" one for the period but I quit using hide or pva glues for chairs. I go right to epoxy now. Hide and pva just don't like chairs. Resin glue will probably work also but I have never used it.

You do need to clean up the area as best as possible no matter what you use. It could be hide glue but I also know fish glue was used; not sure they are compatible.

Epoxy will also help fill gaps. Once the chairs become loose the m/t joints enlarge a bit.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John Mihich said:

Epoxy will also help fill gaps. Once the chairs become loose the m/t joints enlarge a bit.

+1 My brother (who is totally useless as a mechanic or woodworker) kept bringing over his kitchen chairs for repair. I was using TB1 glue, and the joints kept failing even though I cleaned them out thoroughly, until I started with the epoxy; now I only get the joints that I've not expoxied in the past. He's no purist, just wants chairs that stay together. Can't say I blame him.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I haven't used much epoxy just Titebound 1 & 2, and the liquid Hide Glue.

So what type of epoxy do you all use.? I have my Grandparents Dining Furniture and slant front Secretary desk
and a couple of the chairs do need tightening.

Steve
Anyone used "Chair Doctor"?

Seems I used it once on some oak dining room chairs and it has lasted quite well.

Need to get some more
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I use to use the west system epoxy...had it all set up with the various fillers, pumps, gloves, acetone, etc. Build a boat and you will learn all about epoxy.

Now I just use the simple two part syringes you can buy cheap and mix it with some of the west filler to gap fill. You coat the parts with just the resin then mix whats left with filler then add that to the gaps.
How about Gorilla glue? I've had some good luck with it on loose chair spindles.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
Admiral said:

[blockquote]John Mihich said:

+1 My brother (who is totally useless as a mechanic or woodworker) kept bringing over his kitchen chairs for repair. I was using TB1 glue, and the joints kept failing even though I cleaned them out thoroughly, until I started with the epoxy; now I only get the joints that I've not expoxied in the past. He's no purist, just wants chairs that stay together. Can't say I blame him.

[/blockquote]

+2. I know it sounds crazy but when I fix chairs, I actually try not to remove too much old glue if it is difficult going at all, it tends to bring too much wood with it. I remove whatever is loose and let the epoxy mold around the old glue that is still there. Epoxy likes a rough surface. Haven't had a failure yet.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24