Robert Sorby Multi-Tipped Captive Ring Tool
I'm a novice turner and working on a project with captive rings. I started making my own hook tool to free the rings but later decided it would be safer to buy the subject tool.

I received the set yesterday and while reading the instructions looks like this tool can form the entire ring (outside and inside). Other single tip tools like from PSI require the user to form the outside of the ring with other turning tool first. I'm just wondering if indeed this tool can cut he entire ring form.

Thanks,

Mike
While I do not have such a tool
the instructions can be found on Robert Sorby's Web Site
Del Hilburn said:

While I do not have such a tool
the instructions can be found on Robert Sorby's Web Site

Thanks for showing the link. As I mentioned in my post I have read the instructions and they seem to indicate that one can turn the entire ring with this tool but wondering if anyone has experience doing this since the other captive ring tools I have seen require you to use, say your gouge, to turn the outside of the ring.

Mike
Based on the Sorby instructions, you can do the whole ring with the Sorby ring tool and a parting tool.

If you are good at turning beads with a gouge, you might prefer to do the outer most surface with the gouge. That winds up being a preference question, though, and not a capability question.

Two things that the Sorby instructions do not mention:
1) do your sanding of the ring before you separate it. then you only have to hand sand that last little bit
2) use painters tape or stretch wrap to tie each ring to the far end after you separate it and before you start on the next ring. Start cutting rings at one end of your section and work toward the other end.

FWIW
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Let me know how you like them. I have been wanting to get them for a few years now instead of doing them the hard way.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.