Laguna 14/12 Band saw / Carter Stabilizer? / Thin Blades?

Anyone own a 14/12 ever use one of the Carter Stabilizer on their saw for thin blades? If so what model stabilizer was it and was it an improvement over just the ceramic guides? I know the ceramic guides are supposed to work with thin blades but I thought I read in another post that Laguna saw’s need a special smaller ceramic guide (purchased separately) to work with very thin blades and were expensive. Were as the Carter Stabilizer are about ½ the price. Do the ceramic guides work out of the box for thin blades?
I have used one of the stabilizers on saws before with ball baring guides and liked them a lot.

Thanks
(07-14-2016, 08:03 PM)fall Wrote:

I have used one of the stabilizers on saws before with ball baring guides and liked them a lot.

Thanks
Because of the differences between the 2 types of guide if you like the Carter, and having the blade running out on the ball bearing it matters little what the brand of saw is. You are going from trapped between 2 blocks, to a free rolling guide. Trapped on tight radius you get bending of the blade band, and breakage. with the Carter it runs off the back of the blade allowing the sides to run without being clamped, less breakage. Only issue is if you like changing out the entire works when you go from small blades to larger resaw blades. The best of both worlds is a Carter on a smaller saw just for tight work, and traditional clamping type guides for resaw on a bigger saw.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have a Laguna 14", for a 112" blade.   I keep the 1" resaw on the BS and use my Delta 14" for thin cuts. Got tired of switching blades and the Delta was better. 
Just my preference.
I researched this a few weeks ago when I bought a 1/8" blade for my 14/12. I have not tried any of the folowing yet, but here is what I plan to do, for what it's worth: (1) to open up the side guides and just use the rear (thrust) guide. It already has a very shallow groove worn in the surface. I understand from Laguna customer support that will work OK with thinner stock and slower feed rates. (2) If that isn't satisfactory I will replace the guide assembly with a wooden dowel with a slot in it. (3) If that isn't satisfactory I'll spring for the Carter stabilizer (Carter says that the JET-1 will fit on my saw). Laguna still sells the stabilizer attachment, but it would be last choice because it's over $100.
Doug