Dough Bowl
Here's a little build-along on the dough bowl. I'm determined that this won't be added to the "Unfinished Project List"!

The wood is storm-sourced Manitoba Maple or Box Elder. This specimen has some nice red streaks and some spalting as a bonus.

Removing bark with the old Greenlee drawknife:

Flattening the top and bottom with a #5, LA Jack, #6, and for fun I smoothed it with a bevel up smoother.

There is a LOT of material that needs to be removed, and this wood is pretty dry. I don't have an adze, so I used the drill press to speed things up.

Then it was grunt work with mallet and gouge.

And it's starting to look like a bowl. Next I'll tackle the outside shape.

True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I have to admit, I have zero interest in carving spoons, I really don't see the attraction. But for some reason I find carving a bowl to be pretty interesting. Go figure.

Looking forward to the finished product.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Looks great so far, nice job. I don't have all the right tools to do this type of work yet but this is something I want to get into. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Nice! Did you split the log with a wedge and hammer or cut it on the bandsaw? Thanks.
-Howard
Nice looking work. I like the DP idea. My son made me a bowl adze, but I have not tried it out yet.
Thanks for the post.
Very pretty. I like it!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Howard Pollack said:

Nice! Did you split the log with a wedge and hammer or cut it on the bandsaw? Thanks.
-Howard

Hi Howard

I just used my bandsaw. Wanted to make sure I preserved as much wood as possible. The last chunk of wood I split by hand ended up a bit butchered. I'm blaming it on wild wood grain.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I found a very rare object in my shop today, kinda like a unicorn sighting. A finished project!! Dough bowl, Box Elder, 18" long by 9" wide by 3 1/4" high, tung oil finish (which was put on just before the pictures were taken).

Nicely done.

To me I would spin one up on my lathe. But using hand tools is really sporting and getting to know one's tools better.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice work. My wife just bought something similar at Pottery Barn for a little over a Ben Franklin. Only yours is shaping up to be nicer. It kills me when she does this.....