Add GFCI outlet to existing circuit
Is it possible, and is it a bad idea even if it is possible?

My wife wants a heated toilet seat. It will make her very happy for a birthday present. I'll try to make her happy. Not suprisingly, there isn't an outlet in the toilet "closet" but there is a light in the actual closet next to the toilet. I could climb my butt up into the attic (hate that like nothing else, but at least it's 100 degrees outside so it'll be 120 in the attic) and bring a line over from the light switch or down from the light switch that is in the attic for the attic light and is close to the toilet closet. And then put in a GFCI outlet in the toilet closet for the heated seat.

So, I can do all of this, but back to the original question, should I?

Thanks,
Shane
Should is your call but if you have a hot, neutral and ground you can.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I have to ask what year is your house. I have houses in Antelope built in 89 seems they pulled 4 GFI's to cover just about the whole house. If yours is similar there is a chance that light is on a GFI already and all the wires you need are pulled through the switch box. Seems Kaufman and Broad and a couple of the other builders out that way cut as many corners as possible to get them built fast.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Blackhat gave you the correct answer.

But, if it's 100* outside, it's more like 160* in your attic.
Believe me.

It can wait until safer conditions prevail. Why would she need a heated seat when it's 100* outside anyway??
Herb G said:

Blackhat gave you the correct answer.

But, if it's 100* outside, it's more like 160* in your attic.
Believe me.

It can wait until safer conditions prevail. Why would she need a heated seat when it's 100* outside anyway??

Ditto. It's 120* in our attic when it's in the 90s. When it's over 100* you only go up there first thing in the morning. If you have to be up there for any amount of time get fans blowing up there and put a sprinkler on the roof. You would be surprised how much attic temps drop when you get a little water on the roof. Common in commercial apps to use roof cooling as well as it greatly reduces heat load.
Aside from the dangers of working in the attic in the summer, I don't see an issue with what you want to do. Those seats only draw something like 50W or so, so the extra load on the circuit is like plugging in a table lamp.

Do be sure it's a 15A circuit before running 14 gauge cable. It's possible it's a 20A circuit to that light, requiring 12 gauge, regardless of the connected load, since the NEC allows the whole bathroom to be on a single 20A circuit, basin receptacle, lights and all. Just something to look out for.

And as already suggested, check to verify that the light is not already on a GFCI, including the breaker in the box.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will check into your suggestions and warnings. The romex I have left over from a previous project is 12 gauge anyway.

Her birthday is August 4th, thus the timing. We have a whole house fan though, so it'll cool down the attic overnight and I'll be up there first thing before it gets ridiculously hot.

The house is only 8 years old.

Thanks!
Shane
blackhat said:

Should is your call but if you have a hot, neutral and ground you can.

Expanding on this.

Many times a switch will have just a hot loop to it, and in that case there won't be a neutral in the switch box. If this is the case you will have to run it from somewhere else.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Is there a receptacle on the wall behind the toilet? Where you could pull the wire through the wall?
I am guessing about the construction but from what I have seen in the area the toilet and shower are located in a separate space and only have a light possibly fan on a switch in the space
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.