Add GFCI outlet to existing circuit
Should you do it, I say yes... Happy wife = happy life.

Heating element s can be surprisingly AMP hungry, Might want to do some math and make sure the lighting circuit can take the added load. It would suck if you went though all that just to be tripping circuits.

Also consider pulling from the crawlspace or a room behind/beside the water closet. Sheetrock is pretty easy to repair.
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
Can you not install a GFCI breaker in the panel for that circuit? I have those on both bathrooms so no need for the GFCI outlet. The house was built with these, so it's not an afterthought on my part.
I work in a hospital, which has over 500 GFCI receptacles like this https://besttoolexpert.com/gfci-outlet/ The manufacturer requires a monthly manual test on each of these GFCI receptacles, noted on the GFCI face and in the enclosed literature. This is an enormous drain of resources to have an electrician preform this task each month (roughly 30 man hours). We are obligated to have electricians perform the task because of job description in a union environment.

A few years ago the manufacturers added the self testing feature:When the circuit detects an issue, it flashes red andcontinues to check the circuit to see if the issue has gone away. If the issuepersists, then the unit will trip and lock out (and continues to blinkred). This process can take up to 7-minutes from the time the issue isdetected until the unit trips and locks out. At this point there is no power at the face of the receptacle, this appears to me to be a "fail safe" test and clearly is a superior method of testing than having a manual test performed each month. I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue and see how we can go about petitioning the authorities to re-evaluate the testing constraints.
(11-06-2018, 06:21 AM)Mardagora Wrote: I work in a hospital, which has over 500 GFCI receptacles. The manufacturer requires a monthly manual test on each of these GFCI receptacles, noted on the GFCI face and in the enclosed literature. This is an enormous drain of resources to have an electrician preform this task each month (roughly 30 man hours). We are obligated to have electricians perform the task because of job description in a union environment.

A few years ago the manufacturers added the self testing feature:When the circuit detects an issue, it flashes red and continues to check the circuit to see if the issue has gone away. If the issue persists, then the unit will trip and lock out (and continues to blink red). This process can take up to 7-minutes from the time the issue is detected until the unit trips and locks out. At this point there is no power at the face of the receptacle, this appears to me to be a "fail safe" test and clearly is a superior method of testing than having a manual test performed each month. I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue and see how we can go about petitioning the authorities to re-evaluate the testing constraints.

"the manufacturer requires a monthly test". Are you sure?
How can they do that? Are they leased or something?
Who are the authorities who need petitioning?
And whom is the manufacturer requiring perform the test.
Are they really requiring an electrician to do the testing? I'd think anybody could push a button on a GFCI and see if it trips without any electrical training. That's why they put buttons on them.

I'm a home inspector, not an electrician. I test them every day and the state says I'm qualified.

They should be tested periodically but is there a real need for an electrician to do the testing. This almost sounds like a union "make work" thing.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-06-2018, 07:31 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: "the manufacturer requires a monthly test". Are you sure?
How can they do that? Are they leased or something?
Who are the authorities who need petitioning?
And whom is the manufacturer requiring perform the test.
Are they really requiring an electrician to do the testing? I'd think anybody could push a button on a GFCI and see if it trips without any electrical training. That's why they put buttons on them.

I'm a home inspector, not an electrician. I test them every day and the state says I'm qualified.

They should be tested periodically but is there a real need for an electrician to do the testing. This almost sounds like a union "make work" thing.

If the manufacture requires a test then the Center for Medicare Services requires it and hospitals are required to do it.  
Hospitals were cited for this issue.    Also NFPA has requirements in additon to the NEC.   Roly
(07-16-2016, 04:24 AM)Herb G Wrote:  Why would she need a heated seat when it's 100* outside anyway??
If Woodnet can answer that, then we can figure out why my back yard neighbor burns wood when it's 80 degrees out and virtually none of their neighbors has any cooling other than opening windows.
There are quite a few options in battery operated heated toilet seats

http://householdessentials.net/best-heat...-operated/
(11-06-2018, 09:42 AM)EricU Wrote:  then we can figure out why my back yard neighbor burns wood when it's 80 degrees out 

Easy. Heating his water. Next question.

Seems stupid and an inefficient use of wood but I know someone that does it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

that's what someone else told me, but it's really rude.  I don't think they have air conditioning either, but maybe the smoke doesn't get in their house

Or maybe they got an electric water heater, I didn't notice it this year
Old thread.
Winkgrin 

Heated terloit seats. Not a bad idea. Hmmm
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020