Sherwin-Williams sale frequency
I get it at about 50% using someone else's account number having said that they are always sending me incentives to use my account that is why I have the coupon. Hell Behr gives me free 5 gallon bucket from time to time trying to lock me into there product line. Behr cannot make a burgundy exterior that covers in one coat most day not even 2 coats so I don't buy some colors from them. Elastomeric is best bought from Sherwin Willians
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob10 said:

why wouldn't it stack? The 40% doesn't require a coupon from what I see in that email. I was thinking this would be in addition.

P/M sent.

Can't hurt to ask.
chris
I'm on their mailing list and think they have sales about once per month.  Usually 30%-40% off. 

The last time I went to buy a gallon (custom color of course, to get the right "white"), lady behind the counter said the coupon didn't apply to that paint, but she gave me some discount anyway.

Lucky for her I REALLY needed that gallon of paint.
I worked on many painting crews when I was younger.  I was also a painting contractor on the side for many years.  I have used many different brands of paint and probably repainted 100+ houses by myself.  

SW doesn't cater to the contractor very well.  You never see multiple painting contractors filling up their parking lots early in the morning like you do other paint distributors.  Duration is an excellent paint but they charge a premium for it and they don't discount easily unless you buy big volume on a regular basis.  I would only buy Duration for my own house if I could get it for around $30-35 a gallon because I know I could get this price on other manufacturers top of the line exterior paints.  Regardless of which top of the line paint you use, you will most likely see at least the start of chalking and fading after 8 years.  This is less apparent with lighter colors.  The west side typically shows the most.  

As far as spraying goes, a .017 tip in an airless is going to throw ALOT of paint under the pressure needed for good atomization.  I have no idea how many hundreds of gallons of various materials I've sprayed but the only job I've ever used a .017 tip on is knock down interior ceilings where I had an extension, a very clear walking path, 8-10' ceilings and a flat sheen paint.  Why?  Because you have to move very fast with that big of a tip.

I would highly recommend your son start out with a .013 tip and maybe a .015 tip if he's on the ground or in a position to move quickly.  I know you don't want to tie a bunch of money up in tips so if I were to recommend just one size, it would be a 513.  He will still make very good time with less risk of runs and differences in sheen if he doesn't back brush or back roll.

I would also recommend a spray fan.  They sell them at all the paint stores but I don't think the BORG has them.  He will need it when spraying close to corners so the wind doesn't whip the paint around the side of the house.  Even more important is to use them when spraying the horizontal gutters so the wind doesn't whip the overspray up onto the shingles.  Balancing on a ladder with the gun in one hand and the shield in the other really stinks.  This is where a 313 tip would be best.  The first number is the tip size is 1/2 the spray fan pattern.  A 313 will give you a 6" pattern, a 513 will give you a 10".  This will help save material and help prevent overspray where you don't want it.  I would take the time to use a 3M style masking machine on your windows.  

Try to find a family friend who works at a paint store and they may be nice enough to ring you up as a "cash sale" under a big commercial account that gets a steep discount.  Hope this helps.

(07-20-2016, 08:23 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: I worked on many painting crews when I was younger.  I was also a painting contractor on the side for many years.  I have used many different brands of paint and probably repainted 100+ houses by myself.  

SW doesn't cater to the contractor very well.  You never see multiple painting contractors filling up their parking lots early in the morning like you do other paint distributors.  Duration is an excellent paint but they charge a premium for it and they don't discount easily unless you buy big volume on a regular basis.  I would only buy Duration for my own house if I could get it for around $30-35 a gallon because I know I could get this price on other manufacturers top of the line exterior paints.  Regardless of which top of the line paint you use, you will most likely see at least the start of chalking and fading after 8 years.  This is less apparent with lighter colors.  The west side typically shows the most.  

As far as spraying goes, a .017 tip in an airless is going to throw ALOT of paint under the pressure needed for good atomization.  I have no idea how many hundreds of gallons of various materials I've sprayed but the only job I've ever used a .017 tip on is knock down interior ceilings where I had an extension, a very clear walking path, 8-10' ceilings and a flat sheen paint.  Why?  Because you have to move very fast with that big of a tip.

I would highly recommend your son start out with a .013 tip and maybe a .015 tip if he's on the ground or in a position to move quickly.  I know you don't want to tie a bunch of money up in tips so if I were to recommend just one size, it would be a 513.  He will still make very good time with less risk of runs and differences in sheen if he doesn't back brush or back roll.

I would also recommend a spray fan.  They sell them at all the paint stores but I don't think the BORG has them.  He will need it when spraying close to corners so the wind doesn't whip the paint around the side of the house.  Even more important is to use them when spraying the horizontal gutters so the wind doesn't whip the overspray up onto the shingles.  Balancing on a ladder with the gun in one hand and the shield in the other really stinks.  This is where a 313 tip would be best.  The first number is the tip size is 1/2 the spray fan pattern.  A 313 will give you a 6" pattern, a 513 will give you a 10".  This will help save material and help prevent overspray where you don't want it.  I would take the time to use a 3M style masking machine on your windows.  

Try to find a family friend who works at a paint store and they may be nice enough to ring you up as a "cash sale" under a big commercial account that gets a steep discount.  Hope this helps.

I agree fully. I use big tips all the time, but they have no place on a residential repaint, especiall ywith an inexperienced operator.

Your son should backbrush or backroll though.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just got another email about a SW 30% off sale. 

Starts tomorrow, ends Monday.
Painting is going well. The paint is going a lot farther than expected. I'll have a full 5 gallon pail left over when he is done
Sad

It looks good and my son should be finished spraying tomorrow with all the brushwork on Friday.

Then next week it's the trim work. Hopefully he will be done before he leaves to go back to school next Friday....

I did grab a pail of white for the trim this weekend with the sale.
chris
Hey there,

The painting project is complete.  The transformation has been tremendous:

Here is a before and after
chris
missed a spot by the door.  Other then that looks great.  Looks brighter, more inviting.  
Yes

New roof?
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
How much extra did you expect (plan for)? Looks great by the way. Did the sprayer work well? What did he use?

(07-16-2016, 11:33 AM)doobes Wrote: Duration is espoused to be a one coat, primerless system.  

Two claims that scare me are "Primerless" and "One Coat"

Although:
Technically, Primer isn't needed over existing paint as long as the existing paint is in good shape.
Technically. One coat will cover but not to my satisfaction. I also feel that spraying always takes more than one coat for a couple reasons. The 2nd coat hides the stripes and spraying lays out a thinner coat than brushing/rolling.

Another thing about buying all at once vs buying a little at a time. The paint won't match. It's really impossible to mix paint the same twice. There's a ton of variables that throw off tint when mixing. Even a basic white has five or six tints in it, colors have a lot more and each tint varies from lot to lot. Even if the tint quantities are exactly the same (which is near impossible), the tints themselves have an "acceptable industry variance" that doesn't always coincide with "Wife's acceptable variance". Even the "white" base color in the can prior to mixing changes from one lot to another.

If you do use different lots, don't use them on the same plane or the same side of the house. They will look different anyway because of the way the light hits is.

It keeps fine if you keep the cans closed and mix well before using.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay