Rigid 13" planer - dissapointed
Purchased a 13" Rigid planer almost two years ago. The first machine rapidly developed a clunking grinding sound and returned under warranty. The second machine really worked well for the first few boards but since then the machine fails to perform properly. It does give a good cut however the rollers will roll but the wood will not move. Requires as much strength as I can muster pushing hard to get a board through, even on the lightest of cuts. Yes, I have cleaned the rollers but no improvement. The indi-cut never registers at all. I am careful with my machines but in this case, a very disappointing experience. So unless someone can recommend a fix for this machine I can say; "Not recommended".
When my lunchbox doesn't want to feed, I need to thoroughly wax the tables and take lighter cuts.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
I suggest you go to the Ridgid Tool forum and ask your question there. They are more geared towards Ridgid specifically and know a lot about the quirks of those machines.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Very happy with mine. I even ran some black locust through with no problems - other than having to change blades afterwards. I suggest you see what the problem is before accusing the tool for poor performance.... Tom
Also, did you change blades to see if thru put improves? Dull blades will slow down the feed rate. See above...Tom
Phil Thien said:

When my lunchbox doesn't want to feed, I need to thoroughly wax the tables and take lighter cuts.

^^^^^this
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
YSU65 said:

Also, did you change blades to see if thru put improves? Dull blades will slow down the feed rate. See above...Tom

Yep, that's when I know it is time to change blades on the DW735.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I've had my Ridgid for 8 years ever had a problem. Lots of Cherry Maple Walnut Oak some Pine. I generally sneak up to a desired thickness no more than a quarter to half turn at a time.
Good advice here so far

My additional thoughts:
Are the blades on right? Bevel up when looking at the cutter head from the top? Stranger things have happened.
I will take up to a gala turn cut- 3/4 on narrow stick
From my experience maple is very hard!

Just throwing it out there as it has huge applicability to this thread, and Rigid in general.

How many of you guys are Rigid users that also do at least 20 hours a week/50 weeks a year in trades work IE: using them to make a living?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW