Rigid 13" planer - dissapointed
Steve N said:

Just throwing it out there as it has huge applicability to this thread, and Rigid in general.

How many of you guys are Rigid users that also do at least 20 hours a week/50 weeks a year in trades work IE: using them to make a living?

I had an older Rigid TP1300 planer and it was a beast. I bought it used and it had been well used. I have ran several hundred board feet through that planer. Not quite production level, but a lot more than the basic hobbyist. The only issue was the gear box wore out, but I was able to get a replacement gearbox and it was a easy fix.

I actually wish I had kept that planer.

I think the biggest feed problem for lunch box planers are going to be dull blades.

I had a Delta 12" planer prior to the rigid and that would get wood chips forced in between the blades and clamping bars. That would also cause feed problems.
museumguy said:

I suggest you go to the Ridgid Tool forum and ask your question there. They are more geared towards Ridgid specifically and know a lot about the quirks of those machines.

Worth a try but the plumbers there have pretty much run off most of the woodworkers.
Clean the feed rollers and wax the tables. I've had a Ridgid planer since they first came out and have run hundreds of board feet thru the planer with great results. Unless your blades are completely shot cleaning the rollers and waxing the tables will take care of the feed problem.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Steve N said:

Just throwing it out there as it has huge applicability to this thread, and Rigid in general.

How many of you guys are Rigid users that also do at least 20 hours a week/50 weeks a year in trades work IE: using them to make a living?

I am not in that group. I consider myself a very busy hobbyist. I am very happy with my Ridgid- and was pretty happy with my Delta lunchbox before it went bad. Would I recommend it for a priduction shop/ full time shop? No! I think the same holds true for the Dewalt.

JGrout said:

[blockquote]Phil Thien said:

When my lunchbox doesn't want to feed, I need to thoroughly wax the tables and take lighter cuts.

you also need to take some lacquer thinner and wipe the drive rollers They get gunk on them and spin out if not used regularly

[/blockquote]

This is the correct answer. Its the main reason I disliked my lunchbox...other than the noise.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

You say the rollers are moving? First do as others mentioned,clean and wax the table. If that does not help then the rollers are too high.I am not familiar with Rigid planers,look thru your manual to see if there is feed roller adjustments.
mike
No bed rollers (yet) on any lunchbox planer, as far as I know.  On the cast iron types, they make sur you get a decent feed even with rough side down.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Do you have the R4330 or the newer R4331?
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....