Accurate Edge Angles
I'm working on some projects involving the need for slanted panels and was looking to hear about the experiences of others when it comes to getting the angles correct.

How accurate to, let us say, 10 degrees can I expect to get using my Skilsaw (worm gear) circular saw?

(I'm not even sure what the best way is to set the angle on the saw before beginning).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
I would expect that 2 or 3° may be the norm.This is just reading the scale on the saw.If you need accuracy better than that I would use a bevel square set to the correct angle.You can do this a number of ways. Protractor, miter saw,
and if you want to get ridiculous a sine bar.If the angles you need are 22-1/2,45,60 ° you can use a plastic drafting square.
mike
If you have something very accurate like an EB-3 or a Dubby for your table saw, you could make a triangle of any angle then set your circular saw to match it.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(07-18-2016, 03:07 PM)mike4244 Wrote: I would expect that 2 or 3° may be the norm.This is just reading the scale on the saw.If you need accuracy better than that I would use a bevel square set to the correct angle.You can do this a number of ways. Protractor, miter saw,
and if you want to get ridiculous a sine bar.If the angles you need are 22-1/2,45,60 ° you can use a plastic drafting square.
mike

I guess a bevel square is my best bet. But it doesn't seem to be easy to get a accurate way to tilt the blade to one. I may need to try trail and error on scrap and a mallet to get to the correct angle.

(07-19-2016, 08:48 AM)S ceneryMaker Wrote: If you have something very accurate like an EB-3 or a Dubby for your table saw, you could make a triangle of any angle then set your circular saw to match it.

I have no idea what an EB-3 or Dubby is.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Darren, the best way is with a table saw, and a Dubby is used with that.  For your circular saw, I would just eyeball the angle adjustment,  try it and then adjust again to get it as close as you can.  If you are trying to get very precise,  once you have it close, you can use double stick tape to attach a thin -  say 1/2 wide -  piece of carboard to the underside of the base of the circ saw, opposite the blade side, but parallel to the blade - that will increase the angle of the cut very slightly.  Then use double stick tape to attach a second piece if you need to change the angle a little more.   Using shims ( like cardboard, or masonite, or even 1/4 ply ) you should be able to dial it in pretty precisely.
(08-22-2016, 04:34 PM)D_Harris Wrote: I have no idea what an EB-3 or Dubby is.
These are essentially accurate miter gages for a table saw.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Darrin, if the base is tight even after releasing the lock lever, then loosen the cap nut which holds the lever on.Usually a quarter turn or so will do. Then adjust the base to the bevel square and tighten the lever lock.
Try and move the base by pulling and pushing on it. If it moves,tighten the cap nut slightly.No movement means it is locked at the angle you want.Unlike many other saws the gear driven Skil Saw base is sturdy and the locking levers hold their setting.

mike
A jointer is the tool of choice for edge angles. Set with a bevel gage and get it right.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've been locked out of the site and admin finally responded back to me today, so I can now post again.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Freehand you aren't talking about tool, you are talking about skill, experience, and experience.

Now if you are using a guide it all depends on how accurate the guide is, and then the setting is all about how accurate the saw is. Frankly a skill saw is 2x4 technology, which doesn't have woodworking type accuracy. Your better track saws will allow for fairly accurate tilt, and the track keeps the saw guided, so if a lot of accurate tilt cuts are in your future, you may want to consider a purchase of a Festool, DeWalt, or Makita. I don't have a clue about the cheaper brethren, so I won't comment.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW