Lowes answer to the Ridid LSA?
Was in Lowes this morning and noticed an isle end display of Kobalt 24V tools. Big letters on the sign above: Lifetime battery replacement for $20 each (paraphrased) These are 2.4 amp hour 24V LIoN batteries; just guessing this is a response to the LSA. Some many folks have praised that plan, I just bought my first Rigid battery tool strictly for that reason.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't know much about the quality of the Kobalt cordless tools, but the $20 / 24v battery sounds like a game changer.   I noted on the way out last night they are also offering 24% off with a cordless trade in.   Too bad I just trashed my old old ones.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment....1466715929
I see the kobalt tools as homeowner grade like ryobi is. If these turn out to be better then that's a good thing. Also they came out greatly overpriced a couple weeks ago and then they quickly dropped the price a bit. With the price drop and the 24% off by turning in an old tool it might be a decent deal for some. 
        I have thought of taking in an old drill and getting a set for my dad. Not sure how the trade in works though.

The issue I have with lowes though is they are constantly coming out with gimmicky tools to entice the homeowners to buy and they get clearanced out pretty quick. Depot has much more of the contractor market while lowes has more of the homeowner market.
I have enough battery types (ridgid 18v, bosch 12v, Milwaukee 12v, ryobi 18v), not going to add another one.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(07-25-2016, 12:08 PM)meackerman Wrote: I have enough battery types (ridgid 18v, bosch 12v, Milwaukee 12v, ryobi 18v), not going to add another one.

Roger that. I was trying to get to one type, my recent tools have all been the Milwaukee M12 series until I bought this Rigid Impact driver. So that brings to me just 3....I still have an older Bosch that may go out in the 12-18 months. But if this Rigid LSA thing works out, I may switch everything over to them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I started with Bosch, but then all the Ridgid tools dropped in my lap for free, so I've been adding Ridgid tools.  But Ryobi has a couple tools that looked interesting so I've bought a few of them.

rarely touch my Bosch 12v or my Milwaukee 12v anymore.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I was a huge Milwaukee M12 user. I had several of there tools, kept adding to my set. I have a Makita 18v drill/impact combo that I bought in 2009. I decided to expand my Makita line and I sold my entire M12 collection. The main reason is that I use my tools everyday at work. I needed the extra power for what I do at work. The M12 line served me well and I would continue to use it, at home more so than at work. Now, my son has the Ridgid line and he loves it. He has about a dozen 18v tools and continually expands. He has been buying batteries from Australia, the AEG brand. He is now thinking of buying tools as well.

Just my observation.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
It's getting really tough to find tools that are not home owner grade.  Even the "industrial" or "heavy duty" stuff is ultimately junk.  Manufacturers are relying on fancy design graphics to draw your eye to it on the store shelf.  I think that most of the battery powered tools look like kids toy ray guns.
M. Carlin

There's no point to getting old if you don't have stories.