Speeding up drying time for finishes
There are times when oil-based varnishes seem to take longer than normal to dry between coats;  or when you're in a hurry and want to shorten the process. Can you speed up the drying time with a hair dryer or a heat gun set on low? and will this create any problems?

I'm sure that would accelerate the drying process, but I would take a slighly different approach.  I'd make sure it wasn't sticky any more, and then I'd turn a low speed fan on it.  Placing a couple of infrared or halogen lights above the work would help, too.   If you use a heat gun you will have to stand there manually, and I wouldn't be that patient.  If you do as I suggested you can set it up and walk away.  

John
Thanks, John. You always come through with good advice. So many of us are thankful for your presence.

The stage I'm thinking of is when the finish is maybe 10-12 hours old, it's okay to handle, but just has a sort of waxy feel and not really at a hard cure stage. Right now I'm re-doing some kitchen knife handles with Arm-R-Seal (suggested 6-8 hours between coats). Put on the 2nd coat last night. Some were ready for another coat this morning; some were still "soft" but okay to handle. Waited. Largest felt "waxy" soft after another 4-6 hours. I've had this before. Sometimes had to wait another day or two. Just thought maybe a few minutes under the gun might be a quick out when things have to be returned to people or shipped out.

For something as small as you have your approach should work just fine.  I now remember that I did exactly as you suggested a few years ago when I had to install some small parts done with GF's Gel Urethane Topcoat that weren't really dry yet, and it worked fine. 

As a complete aside, I no longer use that product because it's not very durable, even to water. 

John
Last coat (3rd) was still slow to dry after 12 hours in the air conditioning. Decided to put Mother Nature to work. Weather here turned to the 90's, so I set the knives out in the sun for the day and handles were dry by the end of the day. Set out again for the 2nd day just to further the cure. Worries are over.