Home Library Furniture – Custom Bookshelves and Storage
Creating a custom made library that perfectly takes advantage of the available wall space in a room’s interior is what a custom cabinet maker does. It is furniture that is custom shaped & sized for a specific location. That’s why I named this post ‘Home Library Furniture’.
His Third Home
We have done a number of projects for this client in two of his previous homes. He had recently purchased a townhouse on the Hudson River. I’ve written two posts about the fold-away bed and the bar we built for that new place. This is yet another project we did for him.
A Very Small Room
On the second floor there is a small room at the top of the stairs from which you have access to four other bedrooms and and a small balcony. Considering the number of passageways leading to this room, there was only a specific amount of wall space left to place anything. This is where he wanted a library …that also included five hanging file drawers and some storage.
Our Vision
We were designing this work before the townhouse was completed. Here is a photo I took before the walls were sheet-rocked, followed by the proposed rendering I did for both he and the interior designer. It is a corner of the room where you’ll see subsequent photos of the cabinetry being installed.

[Image: studs_zpsxulikdso.jpg]

[Image: rendering_zpslxmty0zr.jpg]

Here are a few of the sections of the library (lying on their backs) being fabricated in the shop. We often paint the shelves and the side walls before we assemble the units.

[Image: shop_zpsh4uaurt0.jpg]

Making it All Come Together
Once we are on site, the separate units interconnect like a puzzle. This eliminates a line where two cabinets adjoin and creates the appearance of a single unit. Cabinetry is built this way both for easy transport to the location and so that it can be brought through doorways, hallways, and stairwells into the room where they are to be assembled. 

[Image: Bri%20install_zpsfbnwukk3.jpg]

I took a short video of the room right after the units were installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_ffIinvyg

This room was so small as to make it impossible to get a single ‘master shot’ of the whole project. So what follows is a panorama as well as a link that allows you to see all 360 degrees of the room when you move your curser over the image…

[Image: DSCN7727_zps6earwiut.jpg]

http://on.bubb.li/298425af8iuy19jx7z4f4bt/

I hope you liked this project as well as our client did. I’ll be soon posting the next assignment we did for his new home.

Russell Hudson
"Courage is knowing what not to fear."
www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
Hey that 360 viewer is almost as slick as your work.  Nicely designed and executed!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
That is the truth.

Once again, excellent work Russell/
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Beautiful work as always.

Wow, nice work!  I especially like the shelving extending over the patio door.

Are the shelves plywood? Or solid wood?  And it looks like they are not adjustable??

Looking forward to your next project!