Inside siding for a shop
I used v groove pine siding.  I got the lower grade stuff with lots of knots.  Think I paid Couple coats of polyacrylic looks good.

Strong enough to screw cabinets to no need to worry about studs.
I used metal on both walls & ceiling....

Ed
Where did you find yours? All I can find here is Home Depot and it's ridiculously expensive. I have no doubt other suppliers exists, I just don't think I'm searching for the right thing.
-Marc

Oh btw, I got the siding for 50 cents a linear foot, or $7 a board.

Thats $1/sf.

I don't think you can touch 3/4 ply for that.

Drywall would be the cheapest, but I don't like it either, but not enough to save that much money.
A few years ago, I found 4X8 sheets of 1/4" material with a white melamine-like surface on one face. It works beautifully in my shop, and also in a smaller detached vehicle garage on our property. White surface can easily be vacuum cleaned, is very bright, and is just about ideal for the uses I purchased it for. Don't remember the cost, but it wasn't expensive. Purchased it at Menard's, as I recall.
I have painted OSB or chip board in my current shop and while it's nice to be able to hang stuff any where, I think if I build a shop I'll go with drywall and then French cleats to span studs.

That makes adding electrical outlets and repairing wall dings easier.

Also cheaper than plywood.

Also may price putting up a layer of 1/2" cdx ply with drywall over that.
That way I could still hang stuff anywhere.

Duke
I used hardipanels. Worked great!
http://www.homedepot.com/p/James-Hardie-.../100072921
One shop had pegboard walls.  Dust collected on the surface and the insulation was visible.  The pegboard was replaced by 3/8" thick pine paneling.  Much better.  The current shop has drywall and french cleats.  Best of the three.  Better light reflection and just looks better overall.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
David G
I also used drywall with French cleats. It works really well. I also installed a French clear system in the garage where my wife parks her car. It lets me hang a lot of stuff to keep it up off the floor.
If women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy!
I bought some nice utility plywood at Lowes a while back at $23.00 per board (3/4").  It would be strong enough to hang shelves directly to the board.  I did notice it was made somewhere in South America, but it was flat and the surface was clean and smooth.  I bought 4 sheets which I used for shop cabinets and they remain flat, but I never painted them so they are all raw.

You will have to watch for sales at the big box stores.  They get these deals every once in a while.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.