Elm?
How is elm to turn? I've been told that I may be getting quite a bit if I want it. Thoughts?
I've always heard it was tough as nails to turn. I've never actually turned it myself.
Get an exhaust fan to keep the shop air moving out, and NEVER use the wife's microwave to push drying a little bit (DAMHIKT).  Elms of most varieties stink pretty bad, turn a dream, and display well.  If it wasn't for the horse-pee stink....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have turned quite abit of it and I really like how it turns and how it finishes.  It does smell alittle tho.  Like all woods sharp tools sharp tools.  I had to say it twice since my wife says so.
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks all.  I let you know how it goes when I get my hands on it.
Smile 
There are several different Elms, from very hard and tough Rock Elm en softer ones like Red Elm.

I have turned a lot of Elm, Rock Elm is very nice wood but moves more than even Hickory in my experience, Siberian Elm is a favorite for me often wrongly called Chinese Elm which is a quite different Elm.

Anyway they all turn fine but the cambium on the green and wet Elm is quite stringy, it gives me problems with bark on natural edge turning.

As for the smell, I think it is exaggerated and not that bad, it also disappears as the wood dries, have fun turning it
Have fun and take care
Thanks.  I'll see if I can get a more definitive ID.
[Image: 27684653151_aa38736970_z.jpg]

Elm is a great wood to turn. Have fun.
Bowl looks great.  Tree hasn't come down yet.  They're having an arborist look to see if it can be saved.
I had a guy from the county parks and rec come by the hardwood store today and offer to sell us some elm burls. He said the maintenance area is full of logs with burls, all elm. Unfortunately, the ones he brought with him was just the caps. He had them sliced off the side of the tree after felling. They weren't big enough for a decent bowl.
He'll be showing me the rest later this week.

I'm not much of an elm fan, but if the burls are good, I may snag some.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com