Veneer for small project
(07-22-2016, 09:58 AM)fredhargis Wrote: A trick I've seen on TV (Rough Cut) and read about might work (try it first). Coat both the substrate and the veneer (raw wood veener only) with a thin coat of PVA and let it set up. Apply them to each other and iron them on with a hot iron. Apparently the heat softens the adhesive enough to let it bond together. I've not tried it, but someone else may have more detail, or do a search.

I have done this with good success in the field mainly. If it works in a less than desirable location it will work fine in a shop...
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Fred,

That method works even better with paperbacked veneer. There's no risk of wet glue migrating to the front surface of the veneer through a fissure where it could cause finishing problems.

Here's an example with cherry veneer (paperbacked) applied with the iron-on method...

[Image: rbr_cameo-7t800.jpg]
Bill Schneider
Thanks
Which PVA glue you recommend?
As I understand it, they all work with this...I think I've seen TBII mentioned more than others.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Here's a chart showing data from Franklin International, the TiteBond glue manufacturer, for various glues ironed-on....

[Image: iron-on_glues_chart.png]
Bill Schneider
(07-22-2016, 12:22 PM)Bill Schneider Wrote: Here's a chart showing data from Franklin International, the TiteBond glue manufacturer, for various glues ironed-on....

[Image: iron-on_glues_chart.png]

It's interesting that searching the Franklin Intl. page, one cannot find the chart.  But it exists elsewhere as a graphic or on blog pages such as this:

http://www.webherrera.com/blog/2009/04/1...uctions/9/

The technique is also demonstrated in various YouTube videos : 

But simple Google searches aren't barfing up anything that looks like official TiteBond/Franklin's page stuff.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks everyone for feedback