Question about contract for built-ins . . .
I'm about to hire a contractor to build and install two built-in units in my apartment.

His draft contract specifies that the quoted price does not include door/drawer pulls or lighting fixtures.  Should I assume that the price does include whatever drawer slides/hinges I want?  I.e., if I say that I want to use Blum Tandem soft-close, he's not going to say that the price only contemplated wooden slides or cheap basic slides?   Is that something usually specified in the contract?

He included a paragraph that he will not be held responsible for dust-related HVAC problems.  Although the installers will take precautions to keep the dust to a minimum and vacuum the work area, I'm resonsible for keeping the vents cleaned.  I don't expect this will be a problem with what we're doing, but shouldn't the contractor be responsible if he creates so much dust that it clogs our vents?  

Also, we'll be living in the aparment at the time of install, should I specify certain procedures to keep dust from getting into the carpets/furniture?  Such as tarping off whatever sections of the living room he's working in?

Thanks in advance.

YES !

If you're concerned about it, make sure it gets in the contract.  He has that contract to protect him.  You need your own contract to protect you.  If he's got these kinds of things in his contract, then it tells me that he's had these issues before with other clients. 

Don't assume anything.  Figure that he will use the least expensive hardware that will not have him revisit your job at a later date. 

It's likely that you would get a lot of mileage out of a good conversation about how he plans to go about the job.  From this conversation, I would write up my own contract with things that I would be worried about.  And include payment terms in your contract.

What to do when you both have contracts?  Well that's what lawyers are for.
I'm sure you're correct.

One concern I had (being a lawyer) is that if I ask about the draweer slides, he will then say, "oh no, you have to pay extra if you want Blum." But if I say nothing, I'll be able to say that the contract only specifies that I pay for drawer pulls and knobs, not slides.

Also, although we've had a general conversation about the design and dimensions of the units, there are no plans or drawings.  I don't think we'll want anything odd, but I'm concerned that if, during the design phase, we say we want "X", he'll say that it cost extra.  I've never dealt with this type of project before.

I wouldn't sign any contracts until you have drawings and know exactly what materials are to be used.  I don't see they need for dual contracts as long as everything you want is spelled out on his.  If you want Blum Tandems make sure it's on the drawing, in the contract, etc.  If you want certain type of wood, finish, etc., make sure it's specified.  I sell some work and I would never do a job w/o those things specified.  It's in everyone's best interest and eliminates problems before they happen.  Leaving things unsaid, hoping it goes your way, is asking for trouble. 

If he's going to make a lot of dust then he should close off the work area where he's working so that the dust is confined to that area.  That space can be ventilated to the outside if there is a window or exterior door.  I would cover any AC vents and especially any return ducts in that area so dust can't get into the system.  

Good luck,

John
If the contract is silent on drawer slides, and after it's signed you insist he use Blum Tandems, he will laugh at you.
Things not specified must be fit for service, and the cheap ones work. Look at other work he's sold, and specify what you want in detail.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
The only smart assumption for you is to assume he wants to make as much profit as he can.
You need to be specific in your wants and desires.
You need to check his previous jobs, and ask the client what the contractor did and did not do.
Most contractors are honest hard working businessmen, good communication before the job starts is important to both parties.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
David,
When I draft a contract for cabinets or built in I specify ALL hardware to be used. For instance Blum soft close under mount. Blum soft close euro hinge. I don't specify a pull or knob but I give the customer an amount. Usually about $6 per piece of hardware. If those specifics are not in there make sure they are before you sign anything. I would also specify drawings and color samples need to be approved. That is pretty standard for custom work.
tell him exactly what you want and insist its put in the contract.  If he's thinking cheap slides and you're thinking blum, then he'll most likely increase his price to cover the difference.

Once you sign the contract, you're locked in.

If he doesn't want to include what you want in the contract (assuming you're asking for reasonable things), find a different contractor.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(07-22-2016, 12:22 PM)David Stone Wrote: One concern I had (being a lawyer) is that if I ask about the draweer slides, he will then say, "oh no, you have to pay extra if you want Blum."  But if I say nothing, I'll be able to say that the contract only specifies that I pay for drawer pulls and knobs, not slides.

I differ from Dennis who said the contractor likely had similar problems in the past.  I believe he heard about you and decided to cover all angles, including his backside.  When I do business with someone, I want them to be upfront, and I will be upfront.  I want to walk away friends.  There are people who I will never do business with because I heard them say things like what you said.

NEGOTIATE FAIRLY and upfront with the contractor.

Perhaps you have heard stories from the great depression when there were many homeless hobos riding the trains.  When a hobo found a generous house, they would mark the street or sidewalk, so the other hobo would know where to stop.  The contractors have your house marked, but not because of any generosity.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Never assume anything. You know what they say about people when the assume.....

(07-22-2016, 12:22 PM)David Stone Wrote: One concern I had (being a lawyer) is that if I ask about the draweer slides, he will then say, "oh no, you have to pay extra if you want Blum."  But if I say nothing, I'll be able to say that the contract only specifies that I pay for drawer pulls and knobs, not slides.

Dont play games. Tell him you want Blum's. He balks, then either go with someone else, or pay the man. I mean what are you saving by thinking this? I bet its pocket change..... :huh:

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)