Butt Joint in Large Table Top
Question 
Grandson is building a cherry dining room table. The top will be 96" x 40" x 1.25". We have 3-8'+ boards and 4-4'+ boards that are 10+" wide. We want to join the 4' boards to make two 8 footers. How would you do that??
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Could you not simply put the 4' boards between the 8' ones, in the panel and count on the edge gluing to keep everything in place and solid?

Are all the boards 10" wide or just the 4'ers?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

cut a spline slot in the ends of the 4' long to join them, then  use the longer stock to support the shorter pieces ( think bricklaying) 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Pair the short boards edgewise with the long boards.  The edge joint should hold nicely.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
That is my thinking, too. Use long boards around and between the short ones in the glue up. I'll post pics when we 'git er done.

www.theborkstore.com

Or make them as two halves, with or w/o provisions for extension leaves to go in the middle. 

John
I used a finger joint router bit on the board ends when I built this table 16 years ago.[Image: IMG_0818_zpsmhxt5ifl.jpg][/img]
M. Carlin

There's no point to getting old if you don't have stories.
Ok now this is really stupid, but I did my whatchamajig to receive, and accept PMs but now as I want to send Bob one it dawns on me with this POS software it isn't just right there like it used to be.

Bob I have a few hunnert foot of either 5/4 or 6/4 Walnut, and a goodly amount of 4/4. It's FML stock, clear, hardly any sap and most have none. Ifn you want to drag your 4 footers up here I can do you a swaperooo. I know you can do a number of joints to stretch a board, but darned thing is with any of them you are always looking right at it. Unless he wants it to be whimsical, all solid stock would look best. Let me know.

Well hail. I finally saw a thing that says "Private message" but it won't let me link to you as BacsiBob so I'm thinking you haven't done your whatchamajig top accept PMs since this infernal software update, sheeesh, there isn't even an icon to show displeasure.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Good advise thus far. If you need to glue butt joints try this trick. It will make the joint stronger but not as strong as a spline as sugested by JGrout. When glueing miter cuts for picture frames, I dilute a bit of wood glue 50/50 with water. I then apply the diluted glue to the ends and let it soak in for more then 1 minute but less then 2 (until it feels tacky but not dry). Then I apply glue (full strength) and clamp the work. The 50/50 solution is like a primer paint. Good luck
It is never hot or cold in NH. It is always seasonal.
Nice offer Steve, and thanks,  but the table is cherry. Granddaughter wants full length boards so they are searching for 6/4 cherry. 

Thanks everyone. Is this a great place or what?

www.theborkstore.com