SHOP FOX 1758 16"x43" lathe. Any good?
I have an opportunity to get this lathe for a steal. Right now I'm just using my Jet mini and want more capacity. Does anyone have this lathe or experience using it?
It doesn't have indexing, but it's heavy and has 2hp. Variable speed from 600rpm and up. I'd mostly use it for bowls and platters. Shop Fox has a 2yr warranty which is longer than the Griz models.
Impressions? Opinions, good and bad welcome.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I don’t have that lathe, but a low of 600RPM is too fast for larger bowl turning IMO

The RPM on the lathe below is apparently 740, and there were some issues, that took a video to convince the powers to be to take it back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x81qf2fc80

And notwithstanding what George Tokarev claims, I and many other turners consider RPMs above 600 to fast for safe faceplate turning.
Have fun and take care
No fan of the faux Reeves design.  Nor of that toolrest.  Still, if it's usable in good condition, and a "steal," give an offer. 

Start things between centers, and make sure that if you use the spur center you have it counterbored against throwout on larger pieces.   I am guilty of starting 16" at 680 occasionally, but I use my chain or bandsaw to help balance up pretty well.  Suggest you do likewise and stay out of the throw zone.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Price is $400. Like new condition.

I think I'll pass. I do want to turn larger bowls and platters and would prefer a slower minimum. No sense in buying something just because it's a good deal, when it doesn't have most of what I want.

Thanks for the help, guys.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com