Need Some A/C Advice
That thing looks like the Magic Chef side draft unit at my last house.  Six-wing fan that you could hear at the end of the street, six houses away.  Different brand air handler in the attic, and duct-board returns that were all caved in and sucking attic air.  Replaced it with a modern (15 years ago) unit of 2-1/2 or 3 tons capacity (2200 sf split level in central NJ) and the difference was amazing in quiet and in cooling ability, with enough blower to circulate well.  I can't believe I nursed that mixed-and-matched pile of scrap for as many years as I did.

Oh, and the air handler motor is powering my drill press, and the belt-driven blower is the heart of my air cleaner (with 3-speed motor from another application). 
Big Grin
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"