Time for a Pendulum Cradle Build
Question 
I promised to build a pendulum cradle for the next generation of the family. One of them has been on my bucket list since I was just getting back into woodworking and the Oct/Nov '08 issue of Woodcraft Magazine came out with the pendulum cradle on the cover.

I now have ~8 weeks to keep that commitment.

I have seen with much appreciation the pendulum cradles that others here have posted. Now I am looking for help/guidance.

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I will start with the plans in WC mag and go from there.

Changes that I know to make:
1) solid headboard and footboard,
2) stop pin to lock pendulum in place

I see that the cradle should not be more than 1/2" wider than the mattress. The WC design has a 16" wide bottom and the mattress is 16" wide. Do I need to shrink the width of the cradle slightly?

I have seen some cradles that have locking casters under all 4 feet and one design that had casters under the feet on one end. Any opinions on using casters for a cradle?

With the tools in the shop, I can turn spindles for the sides or I can make slats. Has anyone tried both (on different cradles) and have a recommendation one way or the other?

I know that standards have changed over the years. Is 3" on center still an appropriate spacing for the spindles/slats?

I am considering insetting magnets to hold the stop pin in or out, but I would welcome recommendations for tried and tested methods.

Recommendations of other plans to start my mods from would definitely be welcome.

thanks in advance,
Ivan
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
[Image: 105_0084.jpg]" />

This is what I did for a stop. I'm sure there are better ways, but this worked nicely. I found WN when I started looking for plans for this project
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

A decade ago I made a pendulum cradle following a  Woodsmith plan.  It was my second WWing project.  I modified to include ball bearings on the axles.  The Woodsmith plan was complete and the grandson SEEMED happy with the result.  I will add that I found the Woodsmith plans wonderful for this beginner. 

I wish I had made the vertical legs and the pendulum at least twice as long.  Perhaps even 2X length is not enough, but the swing of the cradle was too 'sharp' (if I knew a better adjective I would use it).  I had hoped that with the ball bearings the cradle would continue to rock after being moved from a stopped condition.  But in order to give it sufficient momentum to continue to rock, the baby awoke.  Hence, my cradle became a crib with the stop pin locked in place. 

when assembled the cradle takes up considerable space.  I made all joints disassembleable using cross bolts, bolt caps and large headed bolts.  like Lee Valley here:  http://www.leevalley.com/en/HARDWARE/pag...at=3,41306  except Lee Valley did not carry this hardware at that time.  My cradle may be stored flat. 

My $0.02.  Hope your project leads to a 'quiet' success. 

tom
Mark, Thanks I had forgotten about that method of doing the stop.

Tom, Thanks for that link and for the comment about the length of the pendulum arm. Do you happen to remember roughly the length of pendulums for the one that you built? In the Woodcraft plan, that length is ~38" with the pivot 2" down from the top.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

Ivan,

cradle presently in use by newest gchild.  I will inquire of parents and respond tomorrow.

tom
Several years ago I built the Woodsmith cradle.  I made it out of cherry and bought the spindle kit from Woodsmith.  The project was challenging and the result was gorgeous!  The cradle breaks down so that it is more easily packed and stored when the baby outgrows it.  I was recently in the Woodsmith store and saw the kit so I know it's still available.
The Woodsmith plan seems to be really small and the baby would not be in it for very long. What was your experience?
Building an heirloom piece of baby furniture is a very satisfying thing.  It's something that can be used by everyone in the family. I'd suggest marking it somehow to indicate all the different babies that used it. 

I built one from Woodsmith but I'm not sure if its the one others are talking about. Mine was from an issue from the 80's. I did a full build along here somewhere, but I also documented it on my blog. Browse through and feel free to ask anything. 

http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/search/label/cradle
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Mr. Skittle,

I like your cradle.

Do you have anything that you would change on it after it was used?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Mr. Skittle,

Thanks for the pointer. That is a nicely done build blog and a great looking cradle.

Some of the designs I am seeing use the pivot just above the basket like yours does and some of them have the pivot a foot or so above the basket like the Woodcraft design.

Do you have a comment on the pivot length after experience with the one that you built.

thanks,
Ivan