Building a jewelry box, tips?
i am going to build a jewelry box for my girlfriend. what type of wood should i use that is fancy yet affordable, and available without ordering long distance. and also does anyone have good plans or blueprints?
Don't know where you are located so hard to answer.  You should be able to find something with nice grain locally almost anywhere in the US (except maybe in the Rockies).  Species will depend on location.  If you are near a Rockler or Woodcraft store they typically have some hardwoods stocked but quality may not be very good and prices are high.  Occasionally you might find a figured board of something at a BORG but that is rare in my experience.  Since a Jewelry box is fairly small unless you are thinking about a piece of furniture, you won't need a lot of wood so an internet purchase might not be as big as expense as you think.  If you are in an area with a lot of hardwoods, search out local sawmills as they will usually have best selections.  And many retail wood outlets have cut off bins with high quality wood in short lengths but at bargain prices.
First off welcome to the forum! I would echo Long look's comments. It would also be helpful to know what types of tools you have as that will make a difference to what is recommended. Do you have a joiner and planer so you could start with rough stock?
~ Chris
Welcome to the forum.
Being it's your first post, it might help if you tell us about your WW experience including what tools you're experienced with and have access to.
Hard to offer good advice without any background info.

Many libraries carry Doug Stowe's box building books; they contain nice, easy to use plans.

One thought: if you know what kind of wood look your GF likes, use that.
For instance, one of my daughters prefers light woods such as Maple; I could build her a beautiful chest from Amboyna Burl and she would likely be disappointed.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
In regards to wood you use you could have her look through Hobbit House to try to pin down which woods she likes. After finding something if there isn't a big seller in your area with a wide variety of woods then just Google that woods name. Places selling it will be easy to discern. For plans I look at Google images and find many of the pics once chosen allow ypu to go to that page, where often there are build notes, or mentions as to where the plans came from. But half the fun is figuring out the details yourself. Making it sized to fit a special spot. This makes you a stronger woodworker, and if doing it with basic joints sounds boring, challenge yourself with joinery that is new to you.

Jewelry boxes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Do a google search and click on images and you will see tons of examples. Find something you like and go for it. As mentioned no one here knows your skill level or tools you available or any details of the box you are looking for.
John T.
Lots of good advice above. In my opinion, the type of wood you use doesn't really matter. Find something your girlfriend likes and then do the best quality work on it you are capable of. Sure, a special grain pattern would be nice, but not necessary. Coming from your hands, she will love it. I think the very best thing you can do to finish it off is to line the drawers or compartments with velvet fabric; color of her choosing. This makes any box very elegant.