User error...
First try at adding Greene & Greene cloud lifts (?) to a coffee table to hide tongue and groove joint of my breadboard ends.  I marked out the mortise for the lifts, and then used a 1" chisel to create shoulders for the joint.  I kept the bevel of the chisel to the waste side of the work, but ended up "blowing out" the outer edges of the table top.  I didn't think I went too deep (<1/8"), but being self-taught, I'm not sure what I have done wrong.  On my scrap, I didn't have this issue and thought my chisels were sharp, but looking for ideas as to what I did wrong.

Steve
Hi, Steve. This sounds like something you will want to show in pictures. With all the hassles people are having the pictures themselves will be a challenge.
Trying to cut a mortise on the side of a board near the end (Breadboard)?

This piece has to be longer than the placement of the mortise. Get longer piece, cut the mortises way in from the ends, then cut ends to length.

Pictures would also help to diagnose your situation.
WoodTinker
Alternatively to cutting the piece long, mortising, then cutting to length, you can clamp a piece to the end backing up the mortise so it doesn't blow out.  This is similar to planing end grain, where a sacrificial piece is clamped on either end to prevent tearout.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-24-2016, 04:27 PM)woodworkersteve Wrote: First try at adding Greene & Greene cloud lifts (?) to a coffee table to hide tongue and groove joint of my breadboard ends.  I marked out the mortise for the lifts, and then used a 1" chisel to create shoulders for the joint.  I kept the bevel of the chisel to the waste side of the work, but ended up "blowing out" the outer edges of the table top.  I didn't think I went too deep (<1/8"), but being self-taught, I'm not sure what I have done wrong.  On my scrap, I didn't have this issue and thought my chisels were sharp, but looking for ideas as to what I did wrong.

Steve

Steve,
I think you are referring to the ebony spline as opposed to the cloud lift.  Is this what you are referring to?
[Image: IMG_8395_zps0mysef1m.jpg]

I did this with a tailed router.  since you comment that it blew out the end, I can only speculate that you're breadboard may not be wide enough or at least as wide as mine.  Also, I think you will want to make this deeper than an eighth.  if you glue in a 1/8th spline you will most likely get some squeeze out.  if it is  1/4 or even 3/8, you can put glue in the bottom and it will be plenty strong and not squeeze out
pat
Sorry for the delay in responding, life got in the way.  Pat, yes, I was trying to cut a mortise for the ebony spline (my ignorance shines through again).  I was chopping the mortise in the table top, to house the spline (sorry, never seem to load pictures) and "blew out" the cheek at the corner of the mortise on the top side of the field.  I glued the joint back together, and it seems to be fine.

I didn't have a fence for my router and realized on my scrap, that without the fence, the router was going to be a disaster.

Thanks for the replies and hopefully, I can learn how to add pictures, I'll share the results.

Thanks,
Steve