What color does Beech show when finished?
I've got a nice piece of Beech that a friend gave me.

Trying to figure out what to make with it but it's color is making it difficult -- it seems to be an orange/pinkish color but I haven't finished planeing it yet.

Anyone worked with it much???
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Many older saw and chisel handles were made of beech. That should tell you a bit about the color.
I have worked with Beech a lot. I usually applied amber ( orange ) shellac with a 2 lb cut.With each succeeding coat the finish gets darker.If you have amber shellac,you can buy them in spray cans if needed,try it.Wait til it dries,20 minutes or so and if you want repeat.I use flakes and denatured alcohol, the flakes are de-waxed so varnish can be applied without problems.The result appears to be an antique pine hue,though each coat makes it darker.
mike
Sapwood is almost white, heartwood reddish orange, if the wood is not steamed.  If steamed, both change a bit. Sapwood darkens, heartwood lightens.   Then there's what you use as a finish. [Image: Beech-Views.jpg]

These just hand planed or fresh sawn.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Here is a beech box I recently completed. It was a hurry-up project. So, I used several spray can coats of clear lacquer. Should give some idea what it looks like. Splines are walnut.

[Image: dispbox2corner.jpg]
(07-25-2016, 03:30 PM)Willyou Wrote: Here is a beech box I recently completed. It was a hurry-up project. So, I used several spray can coats of clear lacquer. Should give some idea what it looks like. Splines are walnut.

[Image: dispbox2corner.jpg]

One of those times an image is showing as a broken link but if you right click and ask for it in a new tab, it shows up.  For those having problems, here's the link you can just click.  Because it isn't HTTPS, the board software won't display it directly.

http://myphotos.mypclinuxos.com/images/b...corner.jpg
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks -- I was worried the pink tint would be more noticeable.

The board I have is about 9" wide and 6' long, 5/4 thick. Crazy grain -- gonna find out how good my Byrd head is if I ever decide what to make with it.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
I can't say that the beech I have has much, if any, pink in the unfinished color. I think I would smooth up some areas and try some different finish materials on it. Seeing some pictures here would be interesting.

Is your wood completely dry?
very dry but dirty from storage.  I'll try to get it planed and post some pix.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)