Any Experience w/ grizzly work bench?
I think this is the correct thread for this.

I went to purchase a Sjöberg bench this weekend on the used market. Turns out it was the junior/kids hobby bench and miss advertised. It was also advertised has have the tail vise that wraps the corner, which it did not have when I got there. So I started looking around and see that grizzly has a bench that has this tail vise I want. Wondering if anyone here has taken this route and would not mind sharing your experience with it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/84-Workb...aign=zPage

I know the popular view will be to build one for myself and it will be rewarding. I agree, but at the moment the shop is covered up in work and I need to get a better bench situated quicker than it will take my perfectionistic attitude to get on build for myself.
Smile I also like the price of the Griz, it is the top of what I was planning on spending.

Thank you,
Jody
I have no experience with grizz benches. I would just say I would not like that tool tray on the back side. I like to work on both sides of the bench and would look for a bench that allows that.
I agree frigator. I intend on filling that in on whichever bench i end up with.
It looks like a nice bench at a good price. I like the 331# detail. My workbench is an Ulmia and it weighs in at 250+. I have had many benches and really dislike those that make you dance around the shop with them. Solid is good. My bench has a removable tool/junk tray which was removed. You might find this one handy. Mine also has two rows of dogs but I only use the front side. So I say go for it. A good bench makes shoptime a joy.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
From the pic, looks like it is made up of very short pieces glued together; hard to say without eyeballing it.  Don't know if I'd buy a bench without actually fondling it unless it was of a known maker.  I bought a Sjobergs bench several years ago before they raised their prices, never regretted it, priced out the materials, vices and time and it was altogether cheaper to buy then make.  That being said, you can make a very good bench of SYP, the real cost is in the vice hardware and time.  A bench is a tool, like any other.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
In a review of workbenches several years ago (can't remember which mag - maybe Fine Woodworking), the Grizz bench came in dead last.  Sjobergs Elite and Lie Nielsen benches were top-rated.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The stuff I saw at the Washington store looked decent--4 years ago, maybe. But with most things, there is always the status, name, and reputation to consider. Grizzly markets to the lower side of the dollar. If you find something you can't live with when it is delivered, what recourse  do you have? How long can you wait for warp, glue, and connection failures to beat the return policy?
Thank you for the replies. Some real good points here. One that sticks out to me is the part about the top being made up of very short pieces glued together. I had not really paid attention to that. I'm no structural engineer so it's hard for me to actually tell you why that might be bad, but it strikes a cord with me anyway. As, well not being able to find out if that is a problem within the return policy. Sounds like it could be a pain in the whistle. Might be why it cost only 2/3 of all the others.
I looked one over at the former Muncy, PA store (bear in mind,
I had built several of my own prior to seeing the Griz). It was put together with many small pieces, though it looked good and of a decent thickness. Had a drawer, pretty chintzy , non-dovetailed and looked likr it would not last long. Vise appeared much less than robust enough for most tasks. I could not tell how legs were assembled, and my conclusion was that it would be sufficient to start with.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Its always best to assemble your own top. You can orientate the grain so it all runs the same way, helping with tearout when you go to flatten the bench. I made the base for my bench but used a premade maple top....and the grain is tough  to deal with if you plane it flat...grains runs opposite way with boards side by side. 

Before I made my bench I used a workmate...still have it and its bench that will help you build a bench.